Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
Rock Guard Gasket repair

I've searched the forums and not found this question addressed. While doing my annual cleaning behind the rock guards on my 22FB, I found the gaskets that retain the plastic window separating from the frame as seen in the picture. The gasket is stretched, so it's tendency is to pull out of the frame. It does not re-seat and stay in place.

Options I see for repair are:
1. Glue or adhesive,
2. Crimp the frame slightly to make a tighter seal, or
3. Jamb something else in with the gasket to increase its bulk.

I'm inclined to option #3. Is there a correct way to repair this gasket?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22FB-Rock-Guard-Gasket.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	323582  
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #2

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Ace hardware has “spline”, just cut the offending area, push back into place and fill the gap with new spline. It takes a large size.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnPatty View Post
I've searched the forums and not found this question addressed. While doing my annual cleaning behind the rock guards on my 22FB, I found the gaskets that retain the plastic window separating from the frame as seen in the picture. The gasket is stretched, so it's tendency is to pull out of the frame. It does not re-seat and stay in place.

Options I see for repair are:
1. Glue or adhesive,
2. Crimp the frame slightly to make a tighter seal, or
3. Jamb something else in with the gasket to increase its bulk.

I'm inclined to option #3. Is there a correct way to repair this gasket?

Thanks
If not torn...I have cleaned well with Breakleen and secured with this.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
If not torn...I have cleaned well with Breakleen and secured with this.

Bob

[emoji631]

I’m pretty sure we are talking about two different things, the picture shows the spline has shrunk and pulled out of its groove, I think you are talking about the rubber gasket that mates to the trailer. The correct fix for the spline issue doesn’t involve glue.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
Yes, I am talking about the spline. Two great suggestions. I'll likely give the Ace Hardware suggestion the first shot. Appreciate the help!
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #6

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnPatty View Post
Yes, I am talking about the spline. Two great suggestions. I'll likely give the Ace Hardware suggestion the first shot. Appreciate the help!

Cut a piece off of the existing as a sample, it comes in lots of sizes.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Most always pulls out at the corners...👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I’m pretty sure we are talking about two different things, the picture shows the spline has shrunk and pulled out of its groove, I think you are talking about the rubber gasket that mates to the trailer. The correct fix for the spline issue doesn’t involve glue.
Nope, talk'n bout the plexiglass ... the 'gasket' stretches when forced into the corners, the tension pulls it out. I've replaced with new once w/o the 3m, it came out again in 6mos. 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Just cut it and push back into position. A small gap won't matter. If it bothers you, fill it in with another piece of spline.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Just cut it and push back into position. A small gap won't matter. If it bothers you, fill it in with another piece of spline.
Works great.

Take some time to look at the interior cabinet trim gaskets if you want to wonder why trimmed two, three... or more inches too short? If yours are not short... you are already a lucky owner!

I will not tell anyone you have been 'shorted by an inch or so' of cord, holding your side window plastics in place.

My 2006 23 foot Safari FRONT rock guard window gasket cord shrunk. Cut it and gently stuffed it back, snug. You may find that there is very little shrinkage to replace. The cord on ours had ribbing. Just avoid twisting it and the cord will push in better. If you want perfection... prepare yourself for disappointment. It may shrink on the other side, sooner than later. Ours did not, but you may have had your cord stretched an extra inch or two when cut... too short... at the factory to fit.

I suggest make the cut higher up on the side. Water runs DOWN, so the lower curve is important and the bottom edge. When we took the trailer into Jackson Center for Warranty Work... I mentioned what a POSnuttle that year's front window guard was with the minimal frame and the later models had a total metal frame support. ....crickets in the distance was my answer.

Our 2014, better supported FRONT window plastic developed the wavy plastic, as it is so thin. The Sun will do this without your help. The curved tinted plastics hold up very well.

If you get a 'star fracture' of your front window plastic, do not waste money to replace the entire plastic. It will probably occur more often, if you do. Take a short section of clear 3M packing tape, cut a bit larger than the 'star fracture', and carefully cover the fracture, from the backside. Will hold up for years.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grayslake , Illinois
Thumbs up

Thanks for bringing up the subject. Mine are in stretched position too.
I am going to try Ray's suggestion 1st.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
To clarify for some folks. The spline being talked about would be found in the screen replacement section of Ace, or what ever hardware store you might frequent.
If memory serves me correctly there may be a choice between ribbed or smooth. Not sure which would be better in this application
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote