Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

1979 31' Excella 500
, Illinois
Road Side Wing Window

Hi! I have a '79 Excella 500 with a shattered road side wing window. The window is double paned and the exterior pane is the one that is broken. Any ideas on where I could find a replacement for either just the one pane, or a replacement for the whole thing?
I'm considering just removing the broken window for now as a temporary solution but would like to eventually get this window matching the others!
Thanks!
tmcandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Depending on the configuration of the window, you can probably rebuild it as a single paned window with the remaining pane on the outside. For a bit less trouble, but more cash, again depending on the config, you can buy a whole new single panned assembly from places like outofdoorsmart.com.

Do a google search from outside the forums for "wing window rebuild," and you will see some threads that go into rebuilding some of the different configs.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Sorry to hear about your window You can buy a new, single pane, I believe, from Vintage Trailer Supply.

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

1972 25' Tradewind
Myrtle Creek , Oregon
InlandRV has single pane window assemblies. We just replaced both wing windows on my parents '72 due to a broken curbside outer window. Simple process, hardest part is getting the clamp/rail off the windows at the joint with the center window. They do fit pretty well, but there is a little trimming that had to be done and a couple fender washers on the lower corners to give the rivets (buck) something to grab since the holes were right at the edge of the skin panel.
Windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
The dreaded clamp rail ...
the part I could find no explanations for so here comes one.
The wing window and center window are held together with a molding strip that has a hidden dovetail joint on the back side, a couple of rivets in it to keep it from moving and possible some goop at the top to prevent water entering.
I drilled out the rivets, scraped of the goop, applied White Lightning, a non oil bicycle chain lube, until it ran out the bottom, gave it a couple of taps up using a block of wood and a mallet, and it slid off easily.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
dayton , Ohio
good luck for your journey.

I am in the similar situation on my 72 trade wind. we have broken street side outer glass. I do not want to remove all the buck rivets I would love to buy just the out side window glass for street side or buy outside curbside frame that way I can experiment making lexain windows for both wing windows.
desi is offline   Reply With Quote