Old 07-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
van nuys , California
Retrofit a window in the door of as 1973

We have a 1973 31ft Sovereign. I would like to add a window (18x22) in the door like some models of AS have. Does anybody have experience in doing so?
Also, I looked at some suppliers like Vintage Trailer Supply and others but they only have the window and I can't find a frame to go with it. I have the skills to do it but "I ain't got" the supplies! I really need your help. Thanks, Starboard

starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
I'm sorry, I don't have any useful info on this, but I'm interested in any response for my '71 Ambassador.

Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I looked seriously into this when I was rebuilding the door on my '73. Basically, the only option I fould that would work would be to take a used/salvage window and frame of the smallest size available (think the window to the right of the door on a 70's era globetrotter), and patch it in at the same height as the window sits so as to match the curve.

The window (and frame) assembly from a modern AS was available at the time I was looking to do mine, but it cost something like $400, and it would not have matched the curve of the skin perfectly. Also found some 3rd party cool, gadget intensive round porthole type windows, but again, they were expensive, and perfectly flat, so the curve would have caused difficulties.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Overland Park , Kansas
I have the inner pane of my door-window boxed up in storage. If you can source or fabricate a frame and want the glass then let me know via PM.

Otherwise maybe try giving these folks a call. I hear they sometimes have Airstreams to part out.

https://colawrvsalvage.com/
Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
van nuys , California
retrofit a window in a 73 sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I looked seriously into this when I was rebuilding the door on my '73. Basically, the only option I fould that would work would be to take a used/salvage window and frame of the smallest size available (think the window to the right of the door on a 70's era globetrotter), and patch it in at the same height as the window sits so as to match the curve.

The window (and frame) assembly from a modern AS was available at the time I was looking to do mine, but it cost something like $400, and it would not have matched the curve of the skin perfectly. Also found some 3rd party cool, gadget intensive round porthole type windows, but again, they were expensive, and perfectly flat, so the curve would have caused difficulties.

good luck!
Thanks. I thought if I could find an older 70's at a salvage yard but I have not been successful yet. I will keep on looking and let you know.
starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Terrell , North Carolina
I have some windows with frames from a 76 argosy, if you think you might be interested I'll send you the measurement of the ones I have.

dhbinkley is offline   Reply With Quote