Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Possible to remove front door window film?

Hello,

I have a 09 international. The window on the front door came with what looks like a film over it that makes it somewhat opaque. Can it be removed so that one can see clearly or is it something permanent with purpose?

Thanks,
Tom
tmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Tom

If you take the film off, then anyone can see inside. Plus you cant put a window shade on the front door because it would interfere with the screen door.

Regards.

Paul

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Is it a film coating or is it frosted glass?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Coating or frosted glass. Good question. I assumed it was a film because the outside looks like the same material as the other windows - the tinted glass. Which is enough privacy for me. I wonder if anyone has tried removing it with good results.
tmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think it is the glass—same as a bathroom window. It would be better if the window was clear and there was a shade. The screen door would work better if the hinge was separate from the outer door unit too.

I assume these changes were made to save money. I would like to see who is outside if someone knocks on the door.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Checking in to see if you ever figured out how to remove the frosting. I want to make that window clear on mine too.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
In my line of work I have been known to use frosted contact paper to cover the bathroom window (works really good).
If that door window is made this way, you should be able to pull that stuff off. However there might be a glue residue that would remain on the glass...it can be removed also with a Walgreens brand of rubbing alcohol (91 per cent) The higher the percent the better it works and Walgreens is the folks that carries it.
Try taking a chance and get a new exacto blade knife and cut directly into it along the edge in a small area...then pick at it once again to see if it will come up. In cold weather it will be hard to pull up and in warm temps, it will be easier.
Write back and tell us what you find out.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Thinking about this, and sitting here in our new AS looking at the door, it occurs to me that the same techinque I used to use to put curtains in my early vans would work here. I used to make curtains for all the windows in Ford Econoline window vans. The old Falcon series with the middle front seat on top of the motor.

I would buy two springs, the type used for window sashes. I bent out the last couple of loops on each end and used those to put screws through each end into the van wall. I would put one spring over, and one under the window running horizontally. Then I would just sew up a set of curtains with hems that slipped over the springs. This holds the curtain tight to the wall or door in this case, and it doesn't matter if the door is moving or getting slammed. This only needs enough clearance for the thickness of the spring, which is something like 1/8" inch at most. I think even less. But there is plenty of room between the AS door and the screen.

I don't see any easy way to open the curtain with the doors closed though, no matter how you do it. You can't reach it through the screen. But you might be able to figure something out. Like leave a very small gap between the two curtains attached firmly to the door.

How bout taking that piece of glass out and having it mirrored on the outside? Is that an option?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
I, too, have been interested in doing this. I don't have my Airstream yet but it should be arriving very soon. The glass is not flat, correct? So getting a replacement made would likely be more costly than a more "ordinary" piece of glass that is flat.

As for the curtains, what about buying some of the aluminum curtain track that Airstream uses and fasten it vertically on each side of the door and pull a curtain down from the top so that it comes down far enough to block light and visibility into the trailer? This way it wouldn't be necessary to reach between the screen and the door to close a curtain or blind with adult sized hands.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It just occurred to me that hotels and motels have to have peep holes in their doors so you can see who is outside, but it seems RV's don't have to.

That would solve one problem, but without the window, less light in the trailer.

None of this solves the original question, but someday peep holes may be required in RV's.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window