Old 06-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
To Gulls

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Pensacola , Florida
Panels for Screen Door to allow open with AC on

I would like to be able to keep the door open in the summer time with the AC running and obviously I can't do that with the current screen door. Has anyone attempted adding a plexiglass panel to the screened areas of the door? I am open to other suggestions.....I can't be the ONLY one that wants the door open in summer.....

I welcome your feedback!

2008 White Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
"There is no present like the time."
To Gulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Two members of our Suncoast Unit have made plexiglass inserts in their screen doors to accomplish exactly what you would like to do. On my to do list.

>>ron<<

Old 06-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We just did this. We got the plexiglass from Lowes. Lowes cut the 2 pieces to size for us. The bottom piece fit in perfectly. Hubbie had to round the top corners of the top piece to fit. We put ours on the inside of the screen. We took off the grates and used those holes to mount the screen clips to the door.

There's another thread on this with pictures but I can't find it right now. If I do, I'll post it.

Found it --
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...or-115281.html
Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
What thickness of the plexiglass have you used?

>>ron<<
Old 06-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Previous discussion,
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...or-115281.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
I'm Bunni's hubbie

Home depot carries a .093 that others have used but do not cut in the store. I would have preferred the thicker panel but I did not want to try my hand making those cuts without cracking the Plexiglas.

I used a 24x48 .080 sheet from Lowes. 24" was a perfect fix for the width of both upper and lower panels. Lowes cut it to size in the store. Bottom panel was a perfect fit no additional work. You still need to round the corners for the top panel. I bought the cutting tool at Lowes it was useless waste of $$. I tried using hand power tools to cut on the scrap piece but gave that up after cracking. I wound up going crude tracing the arc on the sheet, using a box cutter with a single edge razor blade to score the cut, taping with painters tape, then slowly sniping away small pieces with wire cutters. The result is a very jagged crude cut. I sanded the rough edges to fit. If you use a sanding block sanding is pretty easy. The end result with some work was a smooth rounded edge. Crude yes, but I was at a campground when doing the mod so you use what ya got.

I choose to mount my panels on the inside. I removed the screen guard and used those holes to attach the plexiglas to the screen door. I also added additional mounting holes for stability.

It's an fairly easy mod.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
I wish Airstream would just do what everyone here notes as a solution , as standard equipment . It works. And about every 5th wheeler I have visited this came standard.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I always liked the open door idea. With the weather, heat and cold not practical to have the screen all the time, SO. I saw the plexi installed by another member of our Suncoast Unit in FL. What he did is a very professional way to do it. Obviously cut the plexiglass to fit the 2 panels where the screens are and use fasteners to hold the in place. The fasteners are held in by machine screws screwed into Rivnuts. What is a Rivnut, you ask?? Well it is like a rivet with the center of it being a female thread. It is installed similar to the way a rivet is installed but with a different tool that attaches to thread to squeeze. The screw at this point holds the fastener turn tab to hold the Plexi in place. I will attempt at a future date to post some pictures. BTW the tool is available at Harbor Frieght and it comes with several sized Rivnuts. What is nice about the Rivnuts is you can remove the screws and all there is is a fmale thread insert in the frame of the door, very neat looking. __________________
Bill and Janice, We're lovin' it! (Airstreaming)

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
We have Plexiglas on our '96 Excela...by PO. Thickness is about 1/8". I miss the fresh air frankly... but Canadians eh! If I was doing this for myself I would make the installation at least semi-removable because the door is the best way to air out a stuffy trailer and still keep the mosquitos at bay.
JCW