Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bee Cave , Texas
Need a wachamacallit for window frame

I have a 72 Sovereign. I needed to replace the window. In order to do so, I needed to take out the rivets holding the frame together. In the process, one of the wachamacallits that slide into the two halves of the frame and and connect the two halves once riveted broke. Obviously, I do not know what one of these things are called. I tried to make one out of a spare aluminum plate I had but it didn't work out. Does anyone know of anyone who actually sells one of these things, or, next best thing, does anyone know the specs on it. I could look for a machine shop to make one.

Thanks
BluesClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Will this work? If not check out vintagetrailersupply.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	248534  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesClues View Post
I have a 72 Sovereign. I needed to replace the window. In order to do so, I needed to take out the rivets holding the frame together. In the process, one of the wachamacallits that slide into the two halves of the frame and and connect the two halves once riveted broke. Obviously, I do not know what one of these things are called. I tried to make one out of a spare aluminum plate I had but it didn't work out. Does anyone know of anyone who actually sells one of these things, or, next best thing, does anyone know the specs on it. I could look for a machine shop to make one.

Thanks
That part is a steel bar that holds the 2 sections of the window sash together.

It's used when Airstream makes the window. It's riveted in place so it doesn't move.

In time, that steel bar rusts to great a large degree. That in turn, corrodes the interior of the sash, that is not accessible.

Trying to use the same bars has about a 99 percent failure rate.

You can of course make a new bar, but it will hit the corrosion within the sash, and most likely you cannot get the 2 halves of the window back together as they once were correctly.

If the 2 pieces of sash do not exactly meet each other, then the window will bend at that junction.

The last problem, is using the correct rivets for the hinge.

All of the above is for opening windows, but some of that info still applies to Stack and Vista View windows as well.

And NO, Airstream will not sell that little part, so it's a waste of time looking for a new one, from a dealer as well as a non dealer.

Best thing I could offer after almost 50 years, is good luck.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If it the piece that slides into the extrusion of the frame I think your best bet will be to make one out of stock material. Pick materiaL just over-sized and file as needed.I had a similar problem when I had to replace my rear window. If the piece is still in te frame you should be able to just drive it in further to make room for the new piece.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-926.htm

I think this is it
paulmichie is offline   Reply With Quote