Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Halifax , Nova Scotia
My first post and an old chestnut: Vista Views

Hello everyone. Glad to be a part of this wonderful community. My family and I just purchased a 1975 Sovereign with a few needs. It's sitting in the yard and the process has begun. Gaucho out. Rear bedroom out. Leaks to find and fix. Floor to be replaced. Lots discovered and lots to do. I am sure to be on this site more than before. But, my first question is this: (and I know that it has been discussed a lot on here and elsewhere, so apologies, but.....), if i want to remove the inner plexi on my vista views, what is the best way of removing the aluminum strip? I have read that you should pull it to the inside. But, mine just won't budge. Perhaps it is corroded? Please help. I am visual kind of guy, so any links to pictures of what the aluminum channel and/or the grey rubber gasket look like in profile would be great. So glad to be here. My kids are stoked. Thanks in advance. Warren
marmiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
welcome

Words of welcome and encoragement! I know you'll love it here, and learn alot as we learn from you as well, Wasagachris has a very detailed thread on restoration, or search vista views in the search area. Good luck, others will chime in, and lastly, how bout some pics? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Halifax , Nova Scotia
thanks

Thanks for the kind words of welcome.

The battle is ongoing.

Warren
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Westbrook , Maine
Welcome Warren: My husband and I purchased a 76 Sovereign and can't get the inner vista views out...Have decided it is time to eliminate the inner pane and get on with the renovations. If we'd had the split ring type of vistas, we'd have just taken them apart and the put them back, but we just don't have the time to mess with this situation any more. Don't need the inner pane anyway because we have the built in pull down shades and don't expect to lose any thermo efficiency.... Good luck to you.......Janet
sovereign76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
1975 and up Airstreams most like have the double glass pane Vista Views, rather than the ones with the internal plexiglass that can be easily popped out. I did the "break the inner" and clean things up routine. Knowing what I know now, I probably would either have installed completely new single pane units, or taken the old ones completely out, taken them apart, cleaned and put back together with new seals of some sort.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Wahoo, is that because they leak? Seems like an awful lot of work.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Wahoo, is that because they leak? Seems like an awful lot of work.
Could not see through them and in one case they did leak. When you break the inner glass you have the outer pane loose in the frame, you have to come up with something to wedge it back into place. I have had one come back loose. FWIW I managed to break an inner and outer The new single pane outer leaked from the factory. However having a window solidly mounted in the frame is better than having one wedged in IMHO.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Halifax , Nova Scotia
vista views ongoing

Just to keep you posted. I was mistaken. They were glass inner panes. I took a deep breath and smashed them out. I made little divots with a glass drilling bit and then knocked a three inch spike gently until they cracked. Made three or four holes and cracks like this and then pulled the shards out. Took ages. And everything that anyone has ever said about the grey goop in between the panes is true. Unbelievably sticky.

Then I cut the remains of the grey gaskets and loosened the outer pane. Cleaned the channel out and then stuck the glass back in with Vulkem. (I couldn't get Sikaflex 221 until today.) Wedged everything back in place with the custom rubber from CanAm RV in London Ontario. Two are done, three to go. Exhausting, but leak free.