Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
Metal window trim for '68 globetrotter curved windows

On a recent outing with my 69 globetrotter my daughter, trying to be helpful, cracked my window in two by cranking before releasing the window latches. I have purchased a new window from Inland RV, and very much appreciate that they have them readily available, but for reasons that I cant begin to understand they don't have the metal trim for the window. Complicating the matter further the new window is thicker (to improve strength I guess) so that the old trim will not fit. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the trim? I have searched the net for metal fabricators to no avail but it must be out there. I get the fact that the trim is not necessary, but I don't want one window looking different then the other five. I have read suggestions about metal tape and such but that seems like a half measure at best.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The 69 has the window framed by an aluminum sash. It should be glass, vinyl gasket, aluminum extrusion, rubber gasket, aluminum frame. What part is the trim you need?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgiman View Post
On a recent outing with my 69 globetrotter my daughter, trying to be helpful, cracked my window in two by cranking before releasing the window latches. I have purchased a new window from Inland RV, and very much appreciate that they have them readily available, but for reasons that I cant begin to understand they don't have the metal trim for the window. Complicating the matter further the new window is thicker (to improve strength I guess) so that the old trim will not fit. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the trim? I have searched the net for metal fabricators to no avail but it must be out there. I get the fact that the trim is not necessary, but I don't want one window looking different then the other five. I have read suggestions about metal tape and such but that seems like a half measure at best.
Are you sure its a 69? Looks like a 68.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
I get the Dumb A@% award for the day. My trailer is indeed a 68 and I have know that since the day I bought it 6 years ago (easy to remember because it is one year younger then me!) Don't know why I said 69, either typo or brain glitch, but I stand corrected. Nonetheless I need this darned trim. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
The only stuff I found was for the thicker replacement windows. 1968 Airstream Glass Trim. You might be able to use it though. InlandRV might have some too.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
I have purchased a new and thicker window but inland no longer carries the trim. I am trying to find an outside company such as a metal fabricator that has something similar.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
I have purchased a new and thicker window but inland no longer carries the trim. I am trying to find an outside company such as a metal fabricator that has something similar.

Then this should work? 1968 Airstream Glass Trim.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
Now that would be just too convenient wouldn't it? I called them first thing and what you will find out about vintage trailer supply is that they have an impressive catalog of stuff that they don't have! Curved windows? We havn't had them for five years--metal window trim? Sorry, we don't stock that anymore--vent stack covers? Sorry, don't have them anymore--how about oven vent cover? Take a guess. SO WHY ARE THEY ALL STILL ON THE WEBSITE! The owner likes to keep them there because he keeps thinking he will find a new manufacturer or some such nonsense was the answer. Makes you want to stick a fork in your eye with frustration.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Now that would be just too convenient wouldn't it? I called them first thing and what you will find out about vintage trailer supply is that they have an impressive catalog of stuff that they don't have! Curved windows? We havn't had them for five years--metal window trim? Sorry, we don't stock that anymore--vent stack covers? Sorry, don't have them anymore--how about oven vent cover? Take a guess. SO WHY ARE THEY ALL STILL ON THE WEBSITE! The owner likes to keep them there because he keeps thinking he will find a new manufacturer or some such nonsense was the answer. Makes you want to stick a fork in your eye with frustration.
That is frustrating. Doesn't show this "Sorry, the following item is currently out of stock: 1968 Airstream Glass Trim" until after you add to cart. I don't know of any more sources for the trim.

Fortunately my 67 did not come with the window trim.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Phoenix , Maryland
Unfortunately that message comes up with almost anything that you order, and I love that site. Ordered my awning from them and propane tanks, so I am a big fan, but confidence in dwindling. I don't know if you saw that I started a new thread in which a put the proper age of the trailer. I had a lot of answers and one turned me on to Vintagecamper.com. I had never heard of them but they had the trim and it is ordered! Thanks for the help and suggestions. Happy Camping!