Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Westbrook , Maine
Looks like tiny balls of pitch between the double pane windows........

We have just noticed that there are tiny bubbles that look like balls of pine pitch just at the edge of the black gasket, between the double paned window in the kitchen, bathroom and one of the bedroom windows...If it was on the outside, I'd think pine pitch, but in between the panes? Help please if you know what this is and what's causing it. Thank you
sovereign76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The tiny balls that you see are most likely an agent used to remove humidity from between the layers of glass. They were installed when the windows were assembled. I'm not sure what they are exactly, but are similar to silica gel.
Silica gel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

North Charleston , South Carolina
Desiccant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HairCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I've got similar "balls," but they look more crystalline on my trailer. They are showing up between the panes of glass on my front wing windows, the rest of the windows are single paned. These amber crystals seem to be growing right out of the rubber sealish stuff. I don't think they are a dessicant, as much as some kind of by-product of 40 year old rubber.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

I'm curious as to what sort of rubber by-product you suppose these crystal balls are?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Westbrook , Maine
No they aren't a drying agent...the little white balls (silica?) are the drying agent. This substance seems to be oozing out of the rubber gasket. I thought it might be whatever glue they used to adhere the gasket. It first started on the curbside windows that were facing the sun, but is now happening in the roadside windows that are away from the sun....I may try to upload a pic.........Thanks Janet
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Westbrook , Maine
Belegedhel: Exactly, seem to be coming out of the gasket. All windows involved are side windows, none of the front windows are doing this. All are double paned as well...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Could someone post a picture of these?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
This web page may help:
Windows, Vents & Doors - Vintage Airstream
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Westbrook , Maine
I took a couple of pics I'm going to try and upload them now...

Okay I think I got this..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	171363   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	171364  

Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A close look at the photos leads me to believe that the space between the two panes might no longer be sealed, allowing who knows what contaminants to enter the space between the panes, along with air. The stuff looking like little bits of amber might have nothing to do with the gasket/seal material.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

I think that is the dessicant.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairCream View Post
I think that is the dessicant.
Perhaps I could be wrong, but that's what I've always though it was too.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
It reminds me of what happens sometimes when you urethane a wood floor in low humidity (ie winter). The finish will flow into the cracks between the boards. This produces a thicker column of urethane between the boards.

Urethanes need air to dry, so the solvent evaporates at the surface and dries, but traps the remaining solvent in the column along with the uncured urethane. When the humidity increases and the openings between the boards begin to close due to expansion, the undried finish is forced to the surface and forms wet or tacky beads between the edges of the boards.

When I moved into my current house literally every wood floor had these crystalline beads on every board edge. They scraped off pretty easily and never reappeared.

I'm not saying your windows were urethaned!! But maybe the same sort of thing is occurring?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
OK, I have attached two nice closeups below. I'm sticking to my earlier assertion that the amber crystals are some chemical that is precipitating/outgasing/growing out of the aging rubber, for the following reasons:

1) They are found all along the rubber seal material, even on the upside down and vertical parts. I have a hard time believing that dessicant sprinkeled into the airgap between the windows 40 years ago would not have shaken down to the bottom.

2) One of my wing windows is original and is sealed with the black stuff (that has crystals growing out of it). The other has been repaired at some point and was done with some kind of grey glazing putty. They both have some moisture (fog) between the panes, but no crystals in the grey glazing putty.

3) If I look really closely, I can see tiny crystals that are just emerging from the rubber.

Some time in the near future, I will pull the window frames apart and rebuild/reseal the windows. I'd be glad to save a sample of the crystals if someone has access to a mass spectrometer and would like to do a detailed analysis. Any grad students out there looking for a thesis?

Since there seems to be some fans of Wikipedia on this thread, I went ahead and did a little search for "crystalized rubber," and low and behold, got a wiki hit:

Strain crystallization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a very enlightening article, but the gyst is right here:

Strain crystallization is a phenomenon in which an initially amorphous solid material undergoes a phase transformation due to the application of strain. Strain crystallization occurs in natural rubber, and some other elastomers. The phenomenon has important effects on strength and fatigue properties. There are various techniques for measuring crystallization in rubber, including: x-ray diffraction, specific heat changes, and density changes.

Because I tend to over-think these things, I did some more looking, and I have bad news for my budding grad student that might have gotten excited at the above. The study has already been done, you can find the dissertation (bed-time reading) at the link below (there are some sections in German, but don't them them slow you down). It gets really interesting around page 92 "Deformation-induced crystallization in polyethylene-polybutene copolymers depends on temperature and strain rate in a similar way as does polyisoprene rubber, although the molecular rearrangements taking place are dfferent. In the early stages of drawing an unoriented crystalline polymer, spherulites become..."

http://tuprints.ulb.tu-darmstadt.de/...ssertation.pdf

Ah...so if I take rubber and squeeze it between two sheets of glass for 40 years, it might undergo a phase transformation, producing crystals. QED. Guess I still have to take the window apart or live with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber crystals small.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	171377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubber crystals small 2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	171378  

Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Westbrook , Maine
Belegedhel: That's pretty much the conclusion we were drawing and makes the most sense. "Dan" had been parked in the shade for the last several years and since the end of June, has been parked directly in the sun, although the roadside has not been directly in the sun (the crystals are predominently on the curbside with only a few on the roadside). So there has been a change in the way the airstream has been exposed to sun and heat....Wow you have a lot more crystals than we do and I can see that if not taken care of, it can get a lot worse. Looks like we know what you and we will be doing in the not so distant future....Thanks for the research...........Janet
Old 10-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Make some Airstream jewelry out of them.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Whether it is rubber or diamonds, it's just a bunch of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, right?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Indeed.. Vintage carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen :-)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
2021 30RB Classic
Lubbock , Texas
It's been a while since the posting about the strange Crystals growing between the windows in our 40+ year old Airstreams. I too have this amazing growth of not only golden, but also purple crystal growing in my windows of our 1976 Overlander. I call it my
Amber and Amethyst collection and I show it to everyone. Should I ever replace my windows, I promise to post picture of the jewelry that comes from these lovely stones.
onelisab is offline   Reply With Quote