Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Looking for a part L-55

Does anyone out there have a L-55 that is not in there airstream and would be able to trace a part?

I need to the cam traced for the inside handle...it would save a lot of trial and error....
Click image for larger version

Name:	ea73626580b0348dbe5d306fc7c6e512fcc0d5f1_r.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	338071

Upper left hand corner... of latch set.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Terry, surely someone out there has an H-20-2 lockset sitting on the workbench. If so, it can be traced, except for the part of it that goes up under the latch cover. That, you may have to play with until it slides smoothly to move the latch cover horizontally. If you get that part fabricated, do you just make a square shaft for the handle then press the lever onto it? Just wondering. Beyond my expertise.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Sorry I don't have a spare latch to take apart. Tried to do the next best thing. A photo to scale, so you should be able to trace.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bargman latch.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	338107

The photo is correct if you measure the latch extension (yellow line) and the extension is 30 cm wide. The green line curve is 3/4" dia and the purple line curve is 2-1/8" dia. The end under the latch extension ends just short of the pin's inner diameter (about a 1/16" less than the width of the slot on the latch extension. It becomes a tighter curve on top as it goes under the latch extension. It looks like a 3/4" radius. (It has to clear the pin so I measured from the center point the piece pivots from. The top curve of the cam (under the latch extension) comes to a dull point. The bottom has a short flat spot on the end where it comes in contact with the folded end of the latch extension.

Hope this gets you closer. I used Paint to get the scale correct by resizing till it matched.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
Sorry I don't have a spare latch to take apart. Tried to do the next best thing. A photo to scale, so you should be able to trace.

Attachment 338107

The photo is correct if you measure the latch extension (yellow line) and the extension is 30 cm wide. The green line curve is 3/4" dia and the purple line curve is 2-1/8" dia. The end under the latch extension ends just short of the pin's inner diameter (about a 1/16" less than the width of the slot on the latch extension. It becomes a tighter curve on top as it goes under the latch extension. It looks like a 3/4" radius. (It has to clear the pin so I measured from the center point the piece pivots from. The top curve of the cam (under the latch extension) comes to a dull point. The bottom has a short flat spot on the end where it comes in contact with the folded end of the latch extension.

Hope this gets you closer. I used Paint to get the scale correct by resizing till it matched.
Thank you...I think I will try making the prototype out of aluminum..when I get it correct then I will have it machined or get some flat stock and start grinding away...

Now if I can find the brass bushings I will be all set...

Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
You might find the bushing in the Hillman parts section at a good hardware store. My local ACE has a whole aisle of Hillman stuff and I can usually find something that I can make work if not the exact bushing or whatever or at least something close and I can make parts from it. My local Home Depot has a limited Hillman section about 1/2 the stuff as my local ACE. I bet you can find something that you can make work. I know they have bronze bushings in small sizes.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
You might find the bushing in the Hillman parts section at a good hardware store. My local ACE has a whole aisle of Hillman stuff and I can usually find something that I can make work if not the exact bushing or whatever or at least something close and I can make parts from it. My local Home Depot has a limited Hillman section about 1/2 the stuff as my local ACE. I bet you can find something that you can make work. I know they have bronze bushings in small sizes.
I will check that out...I also noticed that if I have to take the lock set apart to re-bush it. The cam piece that I am missing, may be the same as the cam that is used on the top part of the lock set. They look identical.