Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Locked out of 09 international 23 fb

I do have an open window. I am worried about ruining the screen if I push on it. I only need to unseat the screen (from the rubber gasket) at the corner then I can grab the keys off the table. Can I easily reseat the screen into the groove / gasket ? Any other ideas?

Thanks Tom

Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
IMHO, whenever I have messed with a screen, it never fits back the same, and always required a trip to the screen shop guy. That said, are you due for new screens anyway? Another solution is to have a locksmith pick the lock for you, that can be an easy solution. When its all over, be sure to get a spare and hide it in a metal box and/or at least put a copy in the tug.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A new screen is cheaper than a visit from the locksmith.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Why not just cut a slit in the screen , reach in and grab the keys, screening is designed to be replaced...
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, after reading stories like this (but usually from a writer with no open window!), I put extra door keys on all key rings for my tow vehicle and also attached one to the trailer someplace where it cannot be seen but can (with some effort) be reached by someone (me) who knows what he's trying to find. So far, haven't needed it! Sorta' like that umbrella you take along "just in case."
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Yeah I'm on the fence. A screen maybe cheaper than a locksmith in theory. But it i s a new airstream and everything that had broken to date has been expensive and a time consuming trip to the dealer. That said I was never able to get spare keys because I have not found a key duping place that carries the unique airstream key,
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
Yeah I'm on the fence. A screen maybe cheaper than a locksmith in theory. But it i s a new airstream and everything that had broken to date has been expensive and a time consuming trip to the dealer. That said I was never able to get spare keys because I have not found a key duping place that carries the unique airstream key,
We have provided a "lock out kit" at no charge, so you won't go through the same issue again.

All you need to do is send us a SASE with 2 stamps on the envelope and we will send you that lock out kit, at no charge.

Andy
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
The screen material is standard stuff you can get at any hardware store. You can buy key blanks and have them sent to you, and take them to the same hardware store you got your screen material from for duplication. You're overthinking this, and making it harder than it needs to be.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If the fire escape window is open then crawl through it. It has a loop in the spline on the inside to pull it out. I would this one would be easier to replace.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Wait a minute. Something's wrong here. Is that possible? I use my keys to lock the door. Is there another way to lock the door that I am unaware of? If you have the deadbolt lock in the locked position while the door is open the door will not close. The bolt will be sticking out and hit the door frame. I don't know about the top lock. I've never tried to lock the door first and then close it. I always close the door first and then lock it. Same with the car.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I locked my purse and keys inside one time. The windows were closed but I was able to use a coat hanger to unlock the one directly over the couch where the purse was - and once I swung the window up and out of the way I simply punched the screen with my fist until it came out of the spline in the lower corner. Standing on a stepladder I reached my purse and pulled it out. Got the keys, went inside, closed the window, pulled enough of the rubber spline out of the groove to lay the screen back under and reinstalled the spline.

NO PROBLEM re-installing the spline, but I do use an unusual tool. The regular tool looks like a blunt pizza cutter, and you roll the spline in with the screen under it, then cut off the excess screen surrounding the spline. When you are working with an already cut screen, I've found that the spline tool will stretch the spline or fail to catch enough of the screen to stretch it taut, or both. It looks like hell and pulls loose too. Instead I used a piece of silverware - a fork. My pattern has a blunt end a little over 1/2 inch wide. I carefully punch the spline back in at about 2 inch intervals, then go back and punch in the gaps. Nothing stretches out of place.

Oh yeah, I know you gotta be thrilled that the windows will open that easily. I should note that I have the SE windows, not the small Herr's that only open on the bottom. If you want to make the handles so that they cannot be turned you'd probably have to get some kind of spring loaded tube that could fit over both handles, or drill holes in the handles and have a hasp that goes through both holes- a bent coat hanger segment maybe.

Also If you move the lower lock to the locked position and close the door - it will stay locked - no key needed. Some people report that the inside lock handle is loose enough that if you slam the door, it will flip from unlocked to locked. Inland RV's free kit is effective but also a source of a good chuckle. I've personally never had the problem, but my handle is pretty tight.

Spare key - (I'm evil) I tell folks there's one inside the sewer pipe cover... go ahead and get it and wash it off if you want. No one has ever tried to find it there as far as I know.

Paula
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Wait a minute. Something's wrong here. Is that possible? I use my keys to lock the door. Is there another way to lock the door that I am unaware of? If you have the deadbolt lock in the locked position while the door is open the door will not close. The bolt will be sticking out and hit the door frame. I don't know about the top lock. I've never tried to lock the door first and then close it. I always close the door first and then lock it. Same with the car.
Yes, it's possible and it's how we lock ourselves out frequently. My strategy is to keep a key in the TV that I can access with the keypad on the door. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Locking Self Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I use my keys to lock the door. Is there another way to lock the door that I am unaware of? If you have the deadbolt lock in the locked position while the door is open the door will not close.
Sounds right to me ... except - apparently slamming the door too hard or road vibration can in some cases cause the deadbolt on some models of locks to slide forward, engage, and voila! So as a public service, Andy provides a kit that I think contains a spring that keeps that from happening. I attached a little adhesive-backed hook to the interior side of my door latch mechanism and put a strongish rubber band that's looped over the deadbolt "knob" and the little hook, so that there is constant tension keeping the deadbolt from engaging. At night or whenever I want to set the deadbolt, I just remove the rubber band and set it aside until morning.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If the screen material is not damaged and the spline is not broken and not entirely removed you can re-install it.

Our dog jumped against the front window and knocked the screen out of the spline track in one corner ... We were able to re-insert the material and spline in a few minutes using a not-too-sharp table knife to force the spine into position.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote