Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I had an extra set of keys made and keep one set in my tow vehicle. Maybe this precaution has kept me from getting in trouble since I have not needed to go after the spare set. The main thing if you ever pull the spare set, make it a habit to immediately return the keys to your TV. BTW my TV has a keypad on it so no worry about locking the keys in it.

Dennis

Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Here is the answer

We need something like this but designed for an RV.

BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT DOOR LOCK SET - DELUXE 30 USER

Don

Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Like wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
I had an extra set of keys made and keep one set in my tow vehicle. Maybe this precaution has kept me from getting in trouble since I have not needed to go after the spare set. The main thing if you ever pull the spare set, make it a habit to immediately return the keys to your TV. BTW my TV has a keypad on it so no worry about locking the keys in it.

Dennis
Hi, I also have a fail-safe system similar to Dennis's. I keep a spare set of Airstream keys in my Lincoln [tow vehicle] and I keep a spare key for the Lincoln in my trailer. I also have keyless entry on my Lincoln. Now, if for some extremely rare sercumstances, I would have to lock the Lincoln and the Safari without my pants on to be in real trouble because I carry my Lincoln and Safari keys in my pants pockets and my keyless entry code in my wallet. Needless to say I have never been locked out because of this arrangement.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
My wife and I own a '78 Argosy 28'. Now, I had it over to our trusty RV repairman. We were going in and out of the trailer, locking it up then going back later and working on an item. When all of a sudden the door lock jammed. The key would not unlock the door so what to do?? I am contemplating taking the door off its hidges. I do not want to "drop" a small child down the roof vent. So Any other suggestions would be helpful.
jjustice
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustice View Post
My wife and I own a '78 Argosy 28'. Now, I had it over to our trusty RV repairman. We were going in and out of the trailer, locking it up then going back later and working on an item. When all of a sudden the door lock jammed. The key would not unlock the door so what to do?? I am contemplating taking the door off its hidges. I do not want to "drop" a small child down the roof vent. So Any other suggestions would be helpful.
jjustice
I can tell you how you can easily get into the trailer, without any big deal, but not via any e-mail, or posted in this Forums. Thieves would love to know.

This is the only time a vendor can say, call me.

800-8777311.

Andy
Old 05-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Vintage Airstream with no keys

I just bought a 1970 Airstream Safari from eBay and found out that the owner didn't have keys. He got the trailer from an auction. I found locks online but they were out of stock. Would a locksmith be able to make keys to match these licks? Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Most locksmiths pull the cylinders of the locks when they do a new set of keys. They essentially "rebuild" the lock rather than just making keys. That *seems* like a more involved / more expensive process. It is actually the cheaper / faster way to do it. If the lock is not a cylinder type lock, redoing keys is an expensive thing to do.

Bob
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by writemate View Post
Would a locksmith be able to make keys to match these licks? Any suggestions?
Yes.
We once sent a truck to L.A. and the driver thought the techs had the keys and the techs thought the driver had the keys. So we're all standing around until a locksmith shows up (On New Year's Eve) to pick the lock. It took him all of a minute to open the door and a few minutes more to make new keys.