Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Idiot question on window gasket replacement

78 Tradewinds with the double pane windows.

OK, I'm getting ready to replace the old double flared gasket with the new "D" gasket.

Does the "D" gasket glue to the same surface on the window frame as the old gasket? It looks like it would be a "slide together" closure that way, rather than a "compression" closure. The compression sounds like it would work better.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The flat part goes on the window frame and it should compress it when the window is closed. So yes the same surface should be glued. The round part faces the frame on the trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I thought you had "D" gasket on the side windows and double-flared on the fore and aft windows in 1978, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
Can you by any chance provide photos?
Unless I am confused by the terminology, there is nothing new about "D" gasket.
But, as my wife would be the first to point out, I am easily confused.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I'm almost finished with this job on my 1973 Overlander. Was provided D gasket from Inland RV for all windows & compartments. Larger size too - must be for the door. After removing the old gasket, I applied the D to the same surface. It is a tiny bit wider than the original and it extends a bit past the frame surface. I removed the peel-off paper to expose the adhesive and added the 3M gasket material to both the D gasket and to the window frame until tacky. Then added a bit more to the window side to *reactivate* the 3M adhesive. Took me a couple times to get in the swing but then it went quickly. Remember to position the end/splice centered at the bottom of the window.
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote