Old 04-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #1

1984 31' Sovereign
Jamaica Plain , Massachusetts
How do I install a large opening for a mobile bar?

I have recently bought an 84 sovereign to refurbish into a catering truck/mobile bar. How hard is it to cut a hole in the side and hinge a medium sized window in order to serve patrons? It is a 31 footer.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Jack's Cosmic Dogs, Charleston, SC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cosmic.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	127077  

Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmckissock View Post
I have recently bought an 84 sovereign to refurbish into a catering truck/mobile bar. How hard is it to cut a hole in the side and hinge a medium sized window in order to serve patrons? It is a 31 footer.
The biggest thing you need to be concerned about is how your going to tie the ribs to the new window's frame and keep the strength of the body. Airstreams have strength built into the body like a large rib cage. The ribs run into the outriggers, then into the frame. It is like being inside of a whale.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Could you find an AS that's already been converted at some point? It seems like quite a few get turned into this sort of thing. Seems to me they come up on eBay or the forum sales every few months. Might be an easier way to go.
Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
A medium sized window will probably require cutting through one rib and welding in a header and a sill. Cutting it open is easy, just use an angle grinder and an aluminum zip disk. Will cut through it like butter. After the cut you will need to maintain the structure which is where an aluminum welder will come in. You will need to source out a window first and use those dimensions to find a suitable place for the window. One thing to note. Windows are flat,the airstream is curved.
I think if i were to build a catering airstream, i would cut any size opening i want and make the cut out portion into the window.. That way the cut out will exactly match the body of the trailer and will not look like a dogs breakfast after your done.
This is not an easy job and would require some professional equipment and structural knowledge for the mod to stand up to years of service and not leak .
I do aluminum fabrication on a daily basis(i own a business in Canada) so if you need some advice fire away. I would get a pro to do it if your not versed in some form of fabrication.
Good luck.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 AM   #6

1984 31' Sovereign
Jamaica Plain , Massachusetts
Thank you so much for all the info. I'm a carpenter and work with metal some, but I am scared to start slicing into her. I am sure I can handle in stalling the sill and heading off the ribs. I also thought using the cut out for the window would work. But I'm worried about all the finish work. How do I make my cut look nice and not leak? Thank you for all your help.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Trace a line where you want to cut, and with a 5 inch angle grinder and aluminum zip disk start cutting. The 5 inch angle grinder fits in one hand so you can start cutting using 2 hands, once the cut is started the disk will follow your line and you can use 1 hand and steady yourself using the other hand. The round corners would be trickier. Cut all your straight lines first and then using a jig saw with a medium wood blade you can do the curves. Once your opening is cut out, you would have to make new curved ribs for the cutout. You could probably make the ribs out of wood since your a carpenter. Once the new opening is finished i would make an aluminum trim that attaches to the new window and overlaps the outer shell. Then use some type of closed cell foam tape or seal and glue that to the inside of the window trim. When the window is closed the foam tape would be compressed against the outer shell and create a water tight seal. You would have to have some inside hinges almost like a car hood hinge. You can have aluminum trim rings made to hide the cutout edge. Theres a company here that makes rv windows and they could have trim rings made for you.
Remember you have to cut your inside hole too. and have trim rings on the inside.