Old 04-21-2006, 12:23 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Window Install

Lynn, That's great news! How did it go? What did you use on the window to hold it in to the clamp....bedding tape, silicone, or double sided tape? Be nice and share. We all want the details and a picture would be nice too! Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #86
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I used bedding tape, which worked pretty well! It's a tar-like substance on a removable paper tape. On the 67, the hinge doesn't come off the rig. To remove the old window, you just take out the screws, remove the clamp bar, and pull off the window. What was a smidgen more challenging was that the new window has to be held into place up high at an angle so that the bar can be refit and screwed back on. It requires four hands.

Oh, and I replaced the bar screws. As far as I could tell, only one of the six screws was original. The PO had lost the others when putting in the lexan window, I guess. A real slob. He'd replaced one of the original screws with a wood screw! Duh! Anyway, now it's all new ones. And not wood screws.

Lynn

Old 04-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #87
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
So today the second window went in, this one one of the curved ones. It went well, though two of the screws were so rusted that they broke off at the neck. Not a disaster, but not what I'd hoped for, either.

Lynn
Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Window Install

Lynn, I know what you mean. I've got 2 broken screws on the front flat window hinge on my trailer. If you can't get the broken screws out just grind them flush and move over 1' to the left or right of old hole and drill in new holes in both the clamp and hinge and install new screws. I found new screws (the same exact ones as the originals) from the Fastenal dealer here in Moline, Illinois and got them in 2 days! Where did you find that bedding tape that you are using? It sounds very different from what I have found here.Let me know on the bedding tape. I may do a test on it verses the type of tapes that I can get here to see which holds in the glass better. Thanks... Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 04-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #89
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I got the tape from Vintage Trailer. It comes in a roll big enough to do the whole rig, so I had lots of extra. My dad, who was helping me, took the rest. He was impressed with it and is planning to use it to remount the back windows in his airplane.

I also ground off the broken screws flush and redrilled to the side for new screws. No sense in making a really big mess trying to get the old ones out!

Lynn
Old 04-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Windows

I agree with you. No sense trying to drill out old screws. Even if I had an easy-out bit I have never had any luck using one and end up with a bigger mess than when I started. I'll get Steve to send me some. Ed
Old 04-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
I think you both have earned your curved window merit badges! Good job, both of you! You're an inspiration to us all!

John
Old 04-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #92
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
I think you both have earned your curved window merit badges! Good job, both of you! You're an inspiration to us all!
John
Oh, just about anybody could do the window job! It sounded more challenging when I read the narratives of others on it, but it was really a snap, especially compared to the tail droop job I just finished!

Lynn
Old 04-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Anybody but pinkflamingoes that is...

:-)

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
WINDOWS! What a pane!!!

Ingrid, Lynn, You two are my creative inspirations when it comes to windows! I worked for several hours today on the front and rear flat glass frames getting them all prepared for the glass to be installed. The old screws are a pain in the @ss to get to break loose from the hinge rather than break off at the heads. I have been pre-soaking them with Break Free to hopefully un-seize them and remove them tomorrow. I am installing a new type of window seal that I got from a Sob travel trailer dealer. It is tan colored (I would have preferred black or gray) and is a silicone/rubber based product that I am attaching with the 3M weatherstrip adhesive that I found everyone was using on the rubber seals. It will still be treated with a coat of silicone spray twice a year just to help it survive longer. Although I believe it is better quality than the replacement rubber seal that is available, only time will tell. The door seal (which is the new style D shaped one) that Airstream is using on the new trailers went on in a snap and seems to have sealed the door better than the old style rubber one did. I tried it on the topmost edge of the curved section on the door by removing the (new) old style seal that I got from Inland and had installed last fall. It was still leaking up there so I thought this would be a good place to test a newer type of seal. What do you know...not a drop of water came through when sprayed from the garden hose on full force into the opening at the top of the door...SOooooo...I took all the (new) old style door seal off and removed my test seal strip of the new seal and completely upgraded the door seal to the new style. It is wonderful!!! It looks great an seals like the dickens! no moisture and no drafts! I smoke tested the seal! It is Air tight! Now that is progress folks! Ed
Old 06-14-2006, 07:47 PM   #95
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Flower Mound , Texas
Anyone know where to get new vista-view windows for a 1974 31' Intl.?, Or what to do to make them look better inside to outside? The reflective solar- film has become detached from the windows.

B-man
Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #96
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by booman80
Anyone know where to get new vista-view windows for a 1974 31' Intl.?, Or what to do to make them look better inside to outside? The reflective solar- film has become detached from the windows.

B-man
Replacement windows for the 69 and up Airstream trailers are available from dealers that sell parts.

For your benefit, provide the trailer serial number that will assure the right window for the year, that you have.

If you indeed have, the moveable window hinges must be transfered from the old to the new.

Double pane windows are no longer available, and were not used in 1969 production.

Andy
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by booman80

B-man
I was able to disassemble my Vistas Views and clean the flaking mess off. they look great now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02242.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	22326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02251.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	22327  

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1975 28' Argosy 28
Homewood , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
'69s don't require the special curved Corning glass...you should be able to get them re-glazed anywhere. Now if you need the frames, that's a different story...you will need to find one being pieced out ~

Good luck in your search ~

Shari
Insideout,
Reglazing? I'm not sure what kind of windows I have in my '75 Argosy. But some of them look terrible! (Kind of milky look to them). I would like some more info on the reglazing if possible. The windows are in good shape other than not being "clear". Also, is there anyone who sells replacement parts for the plastic pieces where you raise the windows with the bars and set in the slots for varying heights? Any info much appreciated! Thanks!

1975 Argosy 28D (work in progress!)
RVnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote