Old 03-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
got glue, got gasket...

I finished gasket-ing ALL of my windows!! I also ordered replacement glass for the plastic one and the one I broke. I posted this elsewhere but...get a load of this:

If you order a window from VTS, and it comes broken, VTS only asks that you send a picture of the packaging and the broken window. Then, they send you an immediate replacement. They deal with the hassle of UPS. How's that for awesome service?

Now my husband is going to drill through the screw shafts that are left in the holes in the glass bar (I'm sure I'll blow it). Then, we install windows. Hoping for sunny weather this weekend so we can get windows in...

Then, we move on to ordering water tanks!

Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Hooray!

Progress.... Ain't it good? Glad you got the new glass. Let me know how your install goes! Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
TomW and others.

The 1966 replacement window, can only be installed with silicone sealers.

The 1967 and 1968 windows "must" be installed with double sided tape that is available most any where. If you use silicone, the glass will fall out in due time.

The window clips must be made from a special metal, that is tough, and corrosion resistant. Ours have more then stood the test of time, and we have never received a single complaint of it's design, or it's absense of corrosion resistance.

The window clips that we have fit the framless windows as well. All you need to do, is squeeze them together at the opening, or install cork or double sided tape.

The tooling that Airstream had to make both sizes of window clips, was damaged beyond use or repair. We created new tooling to make the larger clip only, since it works equally well as descibed above.

Andy
AirstreamCentral
Old 03-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
... The 1967 and 1968 windows "must" be installed with double sided tape that is available most any where. If you use silicone, the glass will fall out in due time...
That may not be true with the glass Steve offers. My general experience with using silicone sealers (RTV) on glass is that one better make sure the RTV is only applied where it is wanted because it appears to leach into the glass's pores during curing, and can never be completely removed after curing. I distinctly remember one of my old motorcycle's rearview mirrors being hazy around the perimeter due to me getting carried away trying to solve a loose mirror issue.

So, a couple of years ago when my Overlander's Corning Chemically Tempered, flat glass panels were leaking, I immediately whipped out the RTV. Even though the area had been meticulously cleaned & degreased prior to applying RTV from a new cartridge, the leaks were only stopped for a week or two.

To my surprise, I was able to pull the entire bead of RTV off the glass intact as it had only been sticking to the aluminum frame. There was absolutely no RTV residue on the glass. Chemical tempering must seal up the pores. Luckily, Inland Andy later posted that Parbond works for sealing flat glass panel leaks.

RTV does work for setting acrylic & Lexan replacement windows. My Overlander had an acrylic window (installed by an Airstream Dealership) on it when I got it. As the window was in bad shape, it was replaced with the better choice of Lexan. As the replacement Lexan window came with no instructions, it was mounted with RTV just like the acrylic window was.

Its coming up on three years since the replacement, and in spite of the Lexan window always being unlatched & open during ALL warm days, it has yet to fall out nor does it look like it is about to. Wouldn't matter if did though because the doggone window is all but bulletproof.

I agree with Inland Andy’s post if an original Corning Chemically Tempered window is involved. But the post’s content may not necessarily hold true for modern day replacement windows.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
This is a duplicate post, also in my cursed window thread.

Just went out and tried to install a window. Either the bedding tape isn't thick enough or the weather is cold and the tape/glass bar mechanism isn't holding the pane in, but once we get the screws in the pane pulls right out. What are we doing wrong? Screws went in fine, glass bar is in securely. Pane won't hold.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
1966 and 1967 windows, "MUST" be installed with thick double sided tape.

Doesn't matter if it's the old original window, or new glass window, or Lexan.

The 1966 windows can, unfortunately, only be installed with silicone sealer, since the hinge does not open up.

Andy
Old 03-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Andy
I would be ever so grateful if someone can tell me where to buy this particular tape and what it is called. I have tried sealer and bedding tape, so far no luck. This particular window is an original that I have cleaned and am trying to put back in. the slot it goes into is also clean.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #78
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I would be ever so grateful if someone can tell me where to buy this particular tape and what it is called. I have tried sealer and bedding tape, so far no luck. This particular window is an original that I have cleaned and am trying to put back in. the slot it goes into is also clean.
THe double sided tape is available at most any hardware stores, most grocery stores, Home Depot and the like.

!/2 to 3/4 inch wide by 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick.

Apply it to both sides of the glass.

Andy
Old 03-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
The window went in and stayed in and is nicely clamped. Thanks all...for helping me through my window curse. I must have done something good this year.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #80
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
The window went in and stayed in and is nicely clamped. Thanks all...for helping me through my window curse. I must have done something good this year.
But the year is still young.

You will have many more chances to do something nice, especially for your Airstream, I am sure.

Remember, Airstreams love that "TLC".

Andy
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:

Doesn't matter if it's the old original window, or new glass window, or Lexan...
As I stated earlier, you are correct about the original, chemically tempered Corning glass. My personal experience with Lexan is that you are mistaken.

Neither of us has an experience base with Steve's replacement windows since they have only been on the market a short time. But I do know the windows are not chemically tempered.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Windows

You are correct Tom, The new ones from VTS are heat tempered and say so right on the glass. They are thicker that original Corning glass. They should hold in the clamp better. The two I installed so far have held firm with only bedding tape. However, after what Pinkflamingoes has related I may take mine back out and use the two-sided tape that Andy from Inland recommends on both sides of the glass and then use the bedding tape over that to better grip the glass. Seems like that would be extra insurance against losing a window glass down the road... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I tell ya that window is clamped in good. However we did use replacement screws which might be ever so slightly longer than the originals, so that might have affected the width of the glass bar clamp. If your windows are in and won't pull out easily, I'd say leave them (see "curse" thread; it could be like that movie The Ring, where I just passed it along to someone else). If it pulls out easily, that could mean that the window might eventually wiggle itself loose and end up in shards on the road somewhere (shudder) so use the two sided *and* bedding in that case.

But that's just me and my formerly cursed two cents...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #84
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
So I'm FINALLY finished with the tail droop job and got back this morning to the windows. Did the back (bathroom) window first. It would have been a snap, had high winds not come up halfway through the job! For the other window -- it's a much more expensive curved window on the side -- I think I'll watch the morning weather forecast a little more closely.

Lynn