Old 07-19-2005, 10:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hmm...interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Shari - my 69 Globe Trotter has the curved corning glass with the rounded side window frames - they all still have their original corning insignia on them - I am almost positive they curve with the side of the trailer - but I will check in the daylight -
I'm curious as to whether they curve or not...I thought only the 66-69's curved. Not that other windows weren't provided by Corning as well and may have the insignia, Corning was a PPG of the day.

Please follow up with a reply...

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 and up do not take the frameless Curved Corning glass but do take Curved Airstream specific glass. It is 1965 and earlier that take plain old flat.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I'm curious as to whether they curve or not...I thought only the 66-69's curved. Not that other windows weren't provided by Corning as well and may have the insignia, Corning was a PPG of the day.

Please follow up with a reply...

Shari
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
1969 and up do not take the frameless Curved Corning glass but do take Curved Airstream specific glass. It is 1965 and earlier that take plain old flat.
Okay between the two of you guys you are really confusing me -

The best facts is what is in front of me - so here are the pics I took this morning.

Yep she is definitely curved glass
Yep Rich she is not the frameless - as you can see by the frame
However - "Airstream specific glass" for the 69 looks to be a combo of Corning and Herculite (as one of my curved framed windows is made by Herculite also solid tempered safety glass - at least for the model Globe Trotter. I have a flat back window made by Herculite and a side Kitchen window curved and framed by Herculite. The front window is again by Corning and it is upside down.

Shari you must have been up to late last night .I thought only the 66-69's curved. - tee hee mine is a 1969. Maybe you were thinking of the 61 which was one of the reasons we liked that year - Flat Glass easy street on the replacement

Now that we have completed windows 101 - have I confused the issue even more or helped clear up a simple mystery which I think is half the fun of owning an Airstream - even today.

And while we are on the subject of windows - does anyone have an early 60's Window frame they might want to part with (41.5X20 opening) We have 3 parts of the frame but not the top part - wonder if someone could fab one for us???
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I highly recommend Airstreamdreams for other AS parts as well. Very good service, very customer friendly.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Sharon...I stand corrected, I guess newr ones curve too.
Quote:
Shari you must have been up to late last night .I thought only the 66-69's curved. - tee hee
You're right, I meant '66-'68 and I have been up very late lately. Trying to work between travels is wearing me out!

Shari

Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hi Shari...

You know me it is not a matter of right or wrong it is all about the shine And I just love your latest selection for your Avatar!!!

Sure wish our GT had that shine. However I did wash her today - to get all the cobwebs off and the leaves and junk of the trees from the storm that blew through here on Thursday - we missed a zinger they say. I was half expecting a few trees down - always a worry for us -but life is too short to worry over things.

Where was your Avatar taken??? PS I also asked you to PM me re your address so that I could send you that Lovely Torqu piece.

When we win the X-Stream makeover I will stop in and see you on the way to InlandRV - just trying to decide on which trailer to submit. oops gone off topic on this thread so - do you know a source for the window frames of the early 60's or is a salvage place my best bet - have half a mind to call up that guy who is disecting these beauties - at least some of the parts could go to help make others whole again
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #35

1969 29' Ambassador
McIntosh County , Georgia
Good info!

My windows look like Sharon's. Sure would appreciate a heads-up if anyone hears of an available replacement. I need the window over the galley. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Shari...

Where was your Avatar taken???
My latest Avatar was snapped on a back road to Springfield from the International Rally site. I just loved the juxtaposition of 'roundness' of Maxwell next to the wonderful barn and bale of hay.

Thanks for the kudos...

Shari

Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #37

1969 29' Ambassador
McIntosh County , Georgia
I need windows...please!

Hi folks!

I would greatly appreciate hearing from a source (or anyone who knows of a source) for windows for a 1969 Ambassador.

This web page shows the same model:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/69Ambassador/69Ambassador.html

I need the window immediately to the left of the door, and the
bottom window immediately to the right of the door.

The dimensions inside the frames are 20h x 28w and 7-1/2h x 31w respectively. The corners are round, the left window is curved, the right window is flat, and both are Corning glass.

The replacement glass does not have to be Corning but must be approved by DOT. Not interested in Lexan or similar.

Thanks much,
Craig
Old 01-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Edmond , Oklahoma
seals: not the furry ones

so with all this talk of glass replacment, who has used what seals for their 65-68 trailer
i am replacing a 17" soon and want to also replace many of the gasgets
any suggestions on what i should buy from VTS.com
thanks
matt reynolds
Old 01-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I like Airstream's design concept of the double-lipped seal. An Airstream dealership sold me the seals I used to replace mine.

Unfortunately, the modern-day seals Airstream sells are dimensionally different than what what was originally installed on my '67 Airstream, and protrude more than I like. Details can by found at my web site (link in my signature).

But to do it again, I would still use the double-lipped seal from Airstream unless another vendor offered a similar seal more dimensionally suitable.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Window Seal Gaskets

You Can Get Gasket That Is A (Correct Dimentionally, And Is New But Old Style) Replacement For The Dryrotted Seal On Your Window Frames From Andy At Inland Rv In California. They Sell It By The Foot On Line At Inlandrv.com,and I Understand It Is The Exact Replica Of The Original Seal. Perhaps Andy Or Diane Could Tell You How Good It Really Is As I Don't Have Any Yet...I May Replace Mine This Spring When I Install The Rest Of My Windows From Vintage Trailer Supply. Ingrid (Pink Flamingos) Is Doing Her Window And She May Also Have Replaced Her Gasket Seals. Maybe She Will Jump In! Okay I'm Done Name Dropping, Hope This Helps...... Ed
Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 AM   #41
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
You Can Get Gasket That Is A (Correct Dimentionally, And Is New But Old Style) Replacement For The Dryrotted Seal On Your Window Frames From Andy At Inland Rv In California. They Sell It By The Foot On Line At Inlandrv.com,and I Understand It Is The Exact Replica Of The Original Seal. Perhaps Andy Or Diane Could Tell You How Good It Really Is... Ed
I found that the repro. gasket does not form well around the corners. The OEM gasket made the curvature better. I have done both of my Safari's with Inland's product and if I could find something else that did the job better I would buy it. The gasket curls up when you close the window and you have to run something flat like a knife blade around the corners between the glass and rubber to get it to lay down and seal prperly. This does not seem to improve with time .
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds431
so with all this talk of glass replacment, who has used what seals for their 65-68 trailer
i am replacing a 17" soon and want to also replace many of the gasgets
any suggestions on what i should buy from VTS.com
thanks
matt reynolds
I'm replacing gasket on all of my windows. I'm using the gasket I got from Inland RV for 1967's, part #45295. I think VTS carries it too. It works. It just proved itself on my one window that is completely done. (That means I scraped off old gasket and correctly installed new gasket; other windows I'm still removing old window tint before I put the new gasket in). It's very weird to install, I did it more than once on my front window but finally got it right and did it correctly the first try on a side window. It just poured down rain here for days on end, as your probably read in the news. I went outside and there are no leaks in that cleaned, finished, and sealed window. Other leaks elsewhere, but that's because there's no gasket on those.

I'm also trying to finally put in the front windowpane but that's another story. I have faith in the gasket I installed and I recommend the 1967 style gasket for yours too.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote