Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
S.S. Tramp
1978 25' Tradewind
Yosemite National Park , California
Fridge vent impossible to close when plugged in?

Hey everyone!

1978 Trade Wind fridge vent/rear access door has no way to close when plugged in to electric. The cord itself prevents it from closing completely. I've resorted to covering in plastic bag and duct tape ALL WINTER! (I live in my AS).

Am I missing something?? It's driving me crazy and it makes my outdoor space look like Sanford and Son!

PS: limited internet but will have access 2 more days

ibvegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
You are talking about the power cord for the fridge? There should be an outlet mounted inside that compartment door to plug in the fridge. It should normally be plugged in there all the time and is normally located just above the lower vent door opening on the inside.

You should not have to do anything at all - it should be plugged in that outlet all the time.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
S.S. Tramp
1978 25' Tradewind
There doesn't seem to be an outlet mounted inside the fridge vent, I have searched high and low, up and down. Friends and even the RV mechanic didn't see anything. The power cord connects to the outside electrical outlet. And that makes it impossible to shut the vent when I'm on electric. Thanks for responding!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There is almost always an outlet inside the fridge compartment. They can be very hard to see. A mechanic's mirror might help.

If an outlet is not present there, then there should be provisions for the fridge cord to run through the cabinetry to an interior location where an outlet is present.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
S.S. Tramp
1978 25' Tradewind
Thanks everyone!

After someone suggested I "take a look while standing on my head" I put my head in and looked up and backwards and THERE IT WAS!