Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Caravanner
Matagorda , Texas
Entrance door

Morning all
I'm still trying to remove my door.it is broken and the only thing holding it on is the outside skin.i have moved the solid long pin that holds the hinge to the coach,but not for sure if this is right.any help would be helpful.
Thanks
Greg
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg65 View Post
Morning all
I'm still trying to remove my door.it is broken and the only thing holding it on is the outside skin.i have moved the solid long pin that holds the hinge to the coach,but not for sure if this is right.any help would be helpful.
Thanks
Greg
You can remove the hinge pin or drill out the rivets that are in the door side of the hinge.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Caravanner
Matagorda , Texas
Andy
Thanks for the help.i thought that was the solution but didn't want to screw up the door more
Thanks
Greg
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
FunderStreaming

1999 28' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Replacement Door

My 1999 Excella was broken into by vandals/thieves last weekend! They used a crowbar to lever the bottom of the door, on the lock side. It broke the bar on the deadbolt, and warped the door out about 8-inches. The local AS dealer has quoted me a new door at $2,500, with labor at $1,500, for a total of $4,000 with tax!! This feels like an insurance scam to me!

Does anyone know where to buy a replacement door from a wrecked AirStream of similar vintage? Also, are there better after market deadbolts or security locks that I can install in the replacement door. I have access to a machine shop, and can fabricate some parts.

Any advice on where to acquire a cheaper door is appreciated!
JohnF

Old 10-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Sorry to hear about your door. Where were you parked when this happened?

I'm curious to hear what you come up with as far as a fix.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
FunderStreaming

1999 28' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for asking! I found some old Forum links for fixing door warps, and followed the directions in them, so far. See photos. The major bend in the doorframe (in the wrong direction - out) starts where the deadbolt was - you can see the steel reinforcement bar for the locks in the side edge of the doorframe. Pretty strong panel, but it is also is keeping the door from bending back. It has special rivets holding it in that I have yet to remove, as I am researching how to replace them first, before I drill them out.

After struggling with Hinge Pins that would not budge, I used a Dremmel and cut through the hinge pins at the openings above and below the door hinge pieces. Door came out nicely, and I will deal with vestiges of the hinge pins in the Trailer half of the hinges later.

I am removing the aluminum skins (inner skins removed in Photo), Outer skins next; and will then screw the door frame onto a "door form" that I will make from 2"x6" wood, after scribing the form on the door opening on the trailer. The outer skins are adhered to the frame, with a lot of adhesive tape and caulk, so I have to fabricate a tool to cut all that adhesive out between the outer skin and the frame. I am making that tool by sharpening a drywall putty knife. These doors were made to be pretty solid.

When I get the outer skins off, I will then screw the frame to the wood form using all the rivet holes around the perimeter. I may have to heat and hammer the frame some to get it to fit the wood form well. If the frame will not bend enough to mostly fit the form, the door will leak, so I am determined to make this work.

Because the replacement door is so expensive, I am almost ready to leave the door unlocked for future thieves, and just empty the AirStream for storage periods. It would be better if the thieves broke a window, instead. That only costs $350, and would take about 3 hours to replace. This door repair is going to run into about 15 hours, with no guarantee of a good fit!!! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! John F

Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Post a close up of the rivets and I can most likely tell what they are. I had to completely rebuild my door also, it's about halfway through that thread below.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
AlaskaSafari

1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
I can't offer much help on replacing the door, but I'm sure sorry you're having to deal with that. It's a shame people can't keep their hands to themselves.

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote