Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
door window

hi, i have a question that i'm not sure if i should ask in this forum, but here goes. we have just bought our 1979 excella motorhome. the door on ours doesn't have a window in it and i wondered why some do and some don't. i would like a window in it so my question is: is there a place to find a door with a window, can one be put in, or should i just leave it like it is. it isn't a do or die thing, it would just be nice. thanks, cheryl.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
la mesa , California
Windows CLEAR or OPAQUE ? I have often thought replacing opaque glass
with clear would be nice. Even better could it be configured to ventilate?

Thanks Ron E.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I've decided to put one in my Caravel's door. It's the next big project. If you can find a junker Airstream (wash my mouth out), get the bathroom window, just the moving part (other any other narrow window). That is nicely framed and would make an already-trimmed piece to go in the door. You'll have to make an inner skirt to provide the proper separation between inner and outer skin and to trim the inner hole, but other than that it should be a piece of cake.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
and eat it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
You'll have to make an inner skirt to provide the proper separation between inner and outer skin and to trim the inner hole, but other than that it should be a piece of cake.

Zep
What a dreaded thought! A peice of cake to one,,,,,,,and a serious incapability to others!

Cheryl, please, please, do not attempt to modify your door, unless you are a very capable, skilled do-it-yourself individual. Just asking about it indicates the need to have it done professionally.
Also, consider the need for curtains or a window covering hanging between the door and the screen if you were to opt for a clear glasss, unless you can modify the door to use the sliding shade between the door skins. The company's attempt at this was marginal at best.
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

southwestern , Michigan
you're absolutely right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
What a dreaded thought! A peice of cake to one,,,,,,,and a serious incapability to others!

Cheryl, please, please, do not attempt to modify your door, unless you are a very capable, skilled do-it-yourself individual. Just asking about it indicates the need to have it done professionally.
Also, consider the need for curtains or a window covering hanging between the door and the screen if you were to opt for a clear glasss, unless you can modify the door to use the sliding shade between the door skins. The company's attempt at this was marginal at best.
i'm glad you brought me to my senses. thanks! i really didn't want to change it, and now i really don't want to. do you know, though, why some had windows and some don't? appreciate the help.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Cheryl,
That, like so many other things, was an option. The trailer I have now has the window in it.....with a torn up shade. I will have to remove the inner skin of the door to effect a repair....just a pain, if you know what I mean.
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The window in the door idea is a good one. Has anyone done it? With donar parts it shouldn't be much of a deal. I'm going to do some ground work to see if I can find some parts to work with.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

southwestern , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Cheryl,
That, like so many other things, was an option. The trailer I have now has the window in it.....with a torn up shade. I will have to remove the inner skin of the door to effect a repair....just a pain, if you know what I mean.
sure do appreciate the info. boy, i don't have a window and you have window problems. seems like the grass is always greener...hope you get yours fixed. good luck!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

southwestern , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
The window in the door idea is a good one. Has anyone done it? With donar parts it shouldn't be much of a deal. I'm going to do some ground work to see if I can find some parts to work with.
please pose some pics along the way. i'm sure many others would be interested in the whole process. who knows you might start a trend! good luck and keep us informed. thanks!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
This is not that complicated as it first appears. I have stated in the past that I have a bunch of specially modified CONEX containers I use in the job I have for the Navy. These boxes are the ones you see on the back of trucks all the time. We modify them to work as labs aboard ships so that we don't have to set up our gear all the time. One thing we do is put false walls up just inside the big end doors so that when they are installed on ships we open the outer shipping doors and have a regular (be it some what stronger) door to go in and out of. Sort of like a hatch you would see on ships today. The doors are modified with round and sometimes oval windows - ever stepped out in rough seas and been hit in the face with a wall of water? Timeing is important and windows help with that. OK - that said, we buy them from marine supply houses - they come in a multitude of shaps and sizes - glass is shatter resistant and strong - clear or frosted. The outer stainless steel frame is preped with holes for screws or rivets and the inner trim is adjustable for door thickness. Square with rounded corners, round, oblong, etc... many different shapes. I can take some pictures Monday. I have often looked at these and thought of my Caravel door.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Those marine windows are very pricey, like $500, from what I have seen. Anyone know if windows designed for van conversions would be cheaper?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

southwestern , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
This is not that complicated as it first appears. I have stated in the past that I have a bunch of specially modified CONEX containers I use in the job I have for the Navy. These boxes are the ones you see on the back of trucks all the time. We modify them to work as labs aboard ships so that we don't have to set up our gear all the time. One thing we do is put false walls up just inside the big end doors so that when they are installed on ships we open the outer shipping doors and have a regular (be it some what stronger) door to go in and out of. Sort of like a hatch you would see on ships today. The doors are modified with round and sometimes oval windows - ever stepped out in rough seas and been hit in the face with a wall of water? Timeing is important and windows help with that. OK - that said, we buy them from marine supply houses - they come in a multitude of shaps and sizes - glass is shatter resistant and strong - clear or frosted. The outer stainless steel frame is preped with holes for screws or rivets and the inner trim is adjustable for door thickness. Square with rounded corners, round, oblong, etc... many different shapes. I can take some pictures Monday. I have often looked at these and thought of my Caravel door.
please do take and post some pictures. i think i need to see what you are talking about and then maybe it would be easier for me to understand. i haven't stepped out in rough seas, but i can understand the concept. thanks and blessings, cheryl.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Gah! If I knew that asking a question meant that it was an admission of incapability, I'd still be celebate! Man (or Woman!), get out those aviation snips!

Seriously, I've been thinking that getting a window to fit the slight curve (a MOHO might not have this problem) of an Airstream door could be a problem--not that many Airstreams out there that can be parted out. Sooooo, I got to thinking about airliner windows. I'll check on their construction this week and report back...how about a nice 747 porthole in the door?

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Gah! If I knew that asking a question meant that it was an admission of incapability, I'd still be celebate! Man (or Woman!), get out those aviation snips!

Seriously, I've been thinking that getting a window to fit the slight curve (a MOHO might not have this problem) of an Airstream door could be a problem--not that many Airstreams out there that can be parted out. Sooooo, I got to thinking about airliner windows. I'll check on their construction this week and report back...how about a nice 747 porthole in the door?

Zep
Good thinking , I,ve sure changed my share of those. If you can get your hands on the window frame that rivets to the fuselage skin, it would be a snap to rivet in. The windows are just held in to the frame with a few clips. The curviture would need to be close though. If you are still in Mojave, you could look into it.