Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Door Locks by itself - Need help.

We have a '99 Safari, 25'. After arriving at our camp site, ultiple keys would not open the door lock. Had to break the window glass to access the lock from the inside. The lock worked fine while we were camped. After traveling to the next camp site, it would not open with keys again. It seems to have something to do with vibration from travel. Have you experienced this problem and if so, how did you solve it? Also, do you know who makes this door latch assembly and/or if parts are available?

We have a long trip to Yellowstone, Glacier and Canada planned in 4 weeks so sure could use some help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Latch Outside View.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	262377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Latch Inside view.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	262378  

Name:	Door Latch Post.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	262379  
Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Newer models of that lock have a thick felt washer surrounding the inside lock latch that helps prevent it from locking itself.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Newer models of that lock have a thick felt washer surrounding the inside lock latch that helps prevent it from locking itself.
I have the same problem with my "98" Excella. Any fixes for these models or photos of the newer issues with washer?
rspeirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
When you broke the glass, was the lock lever in the locked position? I thought mine was locked, I pulled the outside handle, wouldn't open, tried the key and actually bent one. I tried turning the key in the lock to the locked position and back and it seemed to be unlocked, but still wouldn't open. I tried pulling hard on the outside door handle and the door opened. That was on my 2001 Safari. On the 2002 Classic, same thing but the door is occasionally really hard to open when the door hasn't been locked and the trailer hasn't moved. A good tug on the door handle opens it.

I even pulled the lock on the Classic to try to find something wrong. I think it is just related to fit of the bolt (of the regular lock, not the deadbolt) in the latch on the trailer.

It is also easy to accidentally move the inside lock lever when closing the door. I did that one as well. Luckily DW was still inside the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiestreamer View Post
. . .
We have a long trip to Yellowstone, Glacier and Canada planned in 4 weeks so sure could use some help.
Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your troubles! I remember a few earlier threads which may be helpful. If you scroll down the list of topics in the Doors and Locks sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453/

you may find those threads.

Perhaps these?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ck-141909.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...am-144905.html

Also, this site's search function works well, contrary to popular opinion, if you click on the Search menu item above and to the right, then choose the Google search box in the middle of the pop-up box (not the top search box).

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Al, I could only stick my arm through the window so I'm not sure what position the lock lever was in but, I was able to open the door so I suspect it may have been slightly in the locked position. I've experienced exactly what you describe in the rest of your comment so, I'm thinking vibration from travel or closing the door is moving the lock lever just enough to lock the door. I think I will add something to add friction to the lock lever so it is harder to move. Maybe some of Inland Andy's washers. I was hoping to hear from Andy on this problem with a '99 Safari. Thanks for your help, Al.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Peter, thanks for your help. I will check the links out. I've read some of them.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I just had that issue, I lock both locks while traveling, one while in campground. It Took me 15 minutes to get door unlocked. I was sweating, final got it with a big tug. I never remember which way to turn the keys. The vibration thought is very possible. When we travel with grandkids, anything with lime green duck tape is forbidden territory, as in do not ever touch. Doors locks being one, along with pump and hot water heater, and fridge fan and battery shut off. It can get frustrating with the keys.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
Why not hide a spair key in the back?
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

2005 25' Safari
1988 29' Excella
Austin , Texas
My door got locked accidentally by nephew a few years back while on a trip. Went to Home Depot to get #3 Phillips, hammer, and impact screwdriver to remove door screws hiding under trim. After trip, I recall having to replace the plate or nut from inside for hinge screw ( it was a while back).

I now keep a lockbox (similar to realtor lock boxes) mounted inside refrigerator access door with spare set of keys.
mb-austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Safari door locks

The cheap door slide lock moves toward the lock position from vibration or just by slamming the door.The key does not unlock the latch,nor does pulling on it( unless you can pull hard enough to warp the door.Airstream told us that the door had been twisted and the lock was out of alignment.Bull.After many years (and two replacement latches)of this happening,I gave-up using the door lock and use a plastic tye to strap the inside slide stationary.Just use the deadbolt.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Guelph , Ontario
The middle link with the info for Andy's kit will fix the problem. We got his kit about 3 years ago when we had the problem. No problem since installing his kit.
Sharleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Thanks to all that responded. This is apparently a common problem from reading many threads. A simple solution seems to be Inland Andys washer kit. I'll order one and post the results. Airstream Corp office responded to a message I sent them with the manufacturer of my lock. It's made by Tri-Mark and they apparently have a replacement available. Their web site is Trimarkcorp.com in case anyone needs it.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update Dave, and for everyone's feedback. Did this problem end in any particular model year? Wondering if our new 2014 FC20 might have the same problem with the lockset? The inside latch mechanism to lock the door latch looks similar. [not talking about the deadbolt just to be clear]

"Good Lock" to all for a great summer season !!!

Cheers,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Door Locking by itself - update

Thanks to Inland Andy, we received our felt washer with instructions a week or so ago. Just installed them this week so haven't traveled with them yet. We are going on a Yellowstone, Glacier trip in a few days so we will have plenty of stops to see if this works or not. Will post here if it doesn't work, otherwise, assume it does.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0847c.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	264230