Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Question Any Ideas for a vent or window???

Hi all;

Just cleaning the inside of the bathroom today - and thought we desperately need some type of vent or window for both light and ventilation - short of having the door wide open. When the door is closed it is pitch black - could double as a photo dark room. - there is a light but who wants to turn it on all the time - especially if we are going to be boondocking a lot - must save energy!

Here is a picture of the back - the bathroom area is outlined.

What would you suggest that would look astetically Okay. We are limited to some type of side window/vent as the roof flat is not in the bathroom and I think if we put something half way on the roof it would look silly.

Are there any small sliding windows available that would look the part?? Something similar to that what you get in a boat. what about a unique porthole style window - we have them in our cuddy - they could easily be trimed with Aluminum???

Any suggestions would be welcome....

For those who don't know it is a 21' GlobeTrotter 69 with a rear wet bath - (toilet, sink, shower all in one)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom outline.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	5868  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have seen fantastic fans with the solar domes used in bathrooms, They will allow light and can be used for superior ventilation as well. You would want it as far up on the roof as possible, but I have seen them mounted 4-5 feet off the centerline and they look fine. It would require a 14 X 14 hole.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

If you absolutely must cut holes in the rear quarter, the Fantastic Vent fan sounds like the best solution. I can't imagine that a window of any sort would fit the curves.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Thinking outside the box...

Why not cut a porthole in the interior door?

You could use some sort of obscure or stained glass in the opening to still have privacy and you would get borrowed light from the large rear window. You would also preserve the exterior and avoid an additional opportunity for leaks...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Shari

What a great idea - that is thinking outside the box.

Could also cut out and install a little aluminum grill vent to the inside as well for ventilation and just make sure the ceiling fan is on - is happens to be right outside the door.

Will look into that idea more closely.....thanks.
Sharon
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Look to the present CCDs

The 22' CCD has a racetrack-shaped, frosted glass window in the bathroom door. It has a metal trim on the outside and a nice plastic trim ring on the inside. You can download the parts manual for the 2003 International and look up the part numbers. Any Airstream dealer can order the parts.

The International AS had the same layout, but did not have the window in the door; I know of at least one forum member who ordered the CCD window through a dealer and installed it in his International AS. i was considering doing the same, but I traded the AS for my present Classic. Come to think of it, the window would work in the sliding door in my Classic, as well. Hmmmmmm!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote