Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
align screen door

My screen door on my '03 31' classic is out of whack Gaps at top and bottom. How do you adjust? Try to bend door to fit or bend hinges to adjust? Hinges are riveted and there does not seem to be an adjustment. Anybody have any ideas?

Bob-air # 657

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
While my readjustment was for the outer door you may want to consider the same approach. Cut a piece of wood to match the contour of the door frame. Then you will have to add thin slices of wood one by one and clamp. repeating this addition till the door matches the frame. You have to OVER BEND the door in order to move it to the correct form. When adding each slice of wood you have to plane them to give a smooth curve leaving the high spot where you wan the greatest bending.

Note the original dark board and the additional thin slices of lighter wood with the high spot about at the door latch.

This is an early picture in the process. I had to add several additional 1/4 in. pieces to get the final curvature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1812.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	213228  

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The screen door is considerably lighter and more flexible than the main door. You can usually just take open side of the door and give it a little attitude adjustment. Technique #2 is use a wooden block and a hammer. This may work better for the hinge. You may pop a rivet or 2 but they are easy to replace. This is a case where my personal motto "If it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer" may not apply well, but as Howie says you may have to over bend it a little.

I once saw an Airstream Factory video on door adjustment. First they made sure the owner was not around. Then they got out the hammer. Then they gave the owner the bill but that part was not in the video.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Yeah that's the video. Quote "so you can see some of the things we're usin we may not really want to use in front of the customer. This is his baby. The customer comes out and sees us beatin on doors".
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote