Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 03:53 AM   #1

Airstream 310 Motorhome 1983

Hi there.... I'm a virgin airstream owner and need all the help and advice I can get.
Not only am I new to this , I live in Australia and my Airstream is somewhere in the middle of the US of A.
So it's a 1983 Airstream 310... and in order for it to comply with Australian customs and road compliance , I need to fit another door on the other side... to stop you walking out into the traffic!!... If anyone has one or an idea of where to source one I would be very grateful ... Im sure this won't be my last visit to the forum... Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.. Regards Neil
neilalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Welcome. Ive an '82 310. Ive never heard of anyone adding a door to the opposite side of the coach but if youve got the money im sure there is someone who can do it. So, are you thinking of using the exsisting door and frame work, removing it and moving it to the opposite side? Then patching the hole. Of course you would need to move the existing couch to the opposite side but i dont think thats a big deal. You also have your interior step down and your exterior steps to deal with. My battery storage hatch is right inside the door but if yours is the same i suppose it could stay where it is. There are some amazing metal workers here on the forums that do some incredible work so it will be interesting to see what they have to say. Im a retired carpenter and if it was wood, I would say it could be done, metal? Your side window would have to be moved also or your kitchen sink base and counter top modified. Whew, big job, but i think it could be done. If you removed one of your side windows to accommodate the new door placement, it could be reinstalled in the hole where the door was removed from.

Those are just some initial thoughts. Hopefully someone with good metal working skills will chime in here. When customers would ask me if we could do this or that when remodeling their home, i used to tell them that we can do ANYTHING you want, as long as you have the money to pay for it.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Switch the center sides, sounds do able.

May I suggest you give a call or email to Area 63 who is on this forum.

I've been to his shop many times and am confident Uwe has the talent to do the job if you wish or just give you the info you need to make an informed decision.

Good luck on getting everything done and your new baby home.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote