Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Albany , Oregon
A general question about padlocks, chains & cables

I have an expensive Progressive EMS surge protector that I'd to secure to the service post to slow down the bad guys. Any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Additionally I have a general need for padlocks, cables and chains to secure items around the camp site as well as home. After reading about Master Locks I'm not keen to purchase locks that dang near anyone might have a key for.
Oregonyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonyoung View Post
I have an expensive Progressive EMS surge protector that I'd to secure to the service post to slow down the bad guys. Any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Additionally I have a general need for padlocks, cables and chains to secure items around the camp site as well as home. After reading about Master Locks I'm not keen to purchase locks that dang near anyone might have a key for.
A combination padlock is easier to pick than keyed pad lock, if you no the trick.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I use a couple bicycle locks, but I must say, I have access to some bolt cutters that'll go through darn near all of 'em.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
http://www.adventurerv.net/surge-gua...-pi-13593.html

I have this to deter the causal taker. This "box" locks my power cord to the surge protector. I run a chain around the power pedestal and lock the two together.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
And I have four padlocks all keyed alike for this, my hitch, bikes, etc.

2023 F150 XLT
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
My Progressive has a small metal tab along the cable that I lock to the breaker box. Not that I'm locking the actual breaker box up, just locking the two together.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
BOLT Keyed Alike To Ignition Key

Quote:
... a general need for padlocks, cables and chains to secure items around the camp site as well as home.
BOLT locks makes a range of locks that you can easily set to use your vehicle ignition key. This way you can have many locks all keyed alike. The cable lock is really sturdy for locking our EMS and I find the receiver lock and padlocks handy to use.

They make:

5/8″ Receiver Locks
Coupler Pin Lock
Padlocks
6′ Cable Locks
Jeep Locks
Toolbox Latch Retro-Fit Kits
GM Tailgate Handle
Old 04-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I've never heard of one being stolen.

Quote:
For locks, the best way to get good ones is to go to a locksmith. They are expensive. You can order security chain from Tulsa Chain.

I've never tried to "secure" anything in a campsite other than by putting it inside. Fwiw. I do chain the wheels on my trailer on occasion to slow people down if trying to steal the whole thing.

You're new, I'll share some wisdom and hope it helps.

1) Generators are the main thing that gets stolen. The best way to prevent generator theft is to quit carrying one. The second best way is to avoid leaving them in the campground when you're gone, by keeping them in your truck bed (covered or otherwise out of sight).

2) Other than people stealing generators, security is not ordinarily a problem at well-run, developed campgrounds. Most thefts occur from storage, or when a trailer is left unattended at a non-campground location as when boondocking or staying at a fairgrounds or special event.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Rather than locks. . . .

That's why we got the installable progressive unit. We have a 20' trailer and found the perfect place to put it in under the dinning seat next to the bathroom. I had to unscrew the plywood for the seat and reinstall it with a piano hinge. The main power input (fat orange wire) runs right through there so we just cut it and wired the box in right there. There is also enough space left over to store our spare circuit boards and some other stuff.

It was fairly easy to run the wire from the unit into the bathroom and up beside the medicine cabinet (had to remove the medicine cabinet) so the monitor is in the bathroom where the constantly changing lights don't bother us while sleeping.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Is Theft a Big Problem?

Maybe we're lucky but we've never had a theft full-timing in our Airstream the last 3 1/2 years. Maybe that's because, like someone noted in this thread, we don't carry a generator with us.

Anyway, just wondering if theft is prevalent in our community. Has it happened to you since you started Airstreaming? If so, what new prevention measures did you take, if any, afterwards?
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
The world. . .

she is a changing!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I got a real heavy duty chain and two serious locks from Tulsa Chain online to lock my Honda Generators. There service was awesome. I also got theft proof handles for the generators(EU2000) from Honda.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You're in a campground, not a war zone.
I can see wanting extra protection if you're boondocking where you may encounter strange people living off the grid, but I've never had anything stolen in a campground anywhere.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Master lock #6327 with 7/16" shackle dia. Expensive but no one is gonna cut it off with a bolt cutter!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You're in a campground, not a war zone.
I can see wanting extra protection if you're boondocking where you may encounter strange people living off the grid, but I've never had anything stolen in a campground anywhere.
I concur with the above. Yes, we periodically chain bikes and the grill sometimes, as well as the generator, and the generator and grill can always be placed back in the TV when not in use. One of the best deterrents I have found is getting to know those camping around you. I may be more trusting than many, and will likely stay that way until something ends up missing.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
When I was growing up, we never locked the house door or our cars. We knew our neighbors and most that lived in our small town of 9k.

We currently live in a tight community where we know those in our neighborhood. We look out for each other. However, in this day and age, we lock our doors and have home alarms. Even with my F250 being locked and with an alarm, it was stolen at a Boat and RV show during the daylight. It was a pay lot with an attendant. There are video surveilence and a security guard.

Unfortunately, times have changed so I lock things away. Many campgrounds are pretty open and folks do drive through. Hard to know who belongs and who doesn't. Airstreams draw attention. Costly items are attractive. Deterring a quick pickup and go is advisable. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't happen at an inopportune time.

2023 F150 XLT
Old 04-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't happen at an inopportune time.
I agree. However, we should not be so consumed with fear that it takes all the fun out of traveling.
At my former job, we had 20 Honda eu3000is generators that were in plain sight around large crowds. Yes, we chained them up, but with a Master lock with a combination. All had the same combination so we could access them without confusion. None were ever stolen, and they sat there day and night unattended at events.
Now, would I leave one sitting in my front yard unlocked? No, but if you use reasonable care, you'll be fine.
This forum seems to follow the motto, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing" -- Mick Jagger.:homy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Master lock #6327 with 7/16" shackle dia. Expensive but no one is gonna cut it off with a bolt cutter!
How would one loop two chain links through that? It's made for a hasp or storage room or cargo trailer door.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
...How would one loop two chain links through that? It's made for a hasp or storage room or cargo trailer door.
Obviously it depends on what you are trying to lock up. No, not all chain will fit. Hardened 1/2" chain (which is huge) is too big to fit. Smaller chain will; the two chain links being locked fitted to opposite sides of the hasp. You could use wire rope, also, which is more difficult to cut.

However, If I want your generator, bike, trailer or whatever, I will bring my cheap, battery-powered grinder fitted with a carborundum cutting wheel and cut off your biggest lock, chain, or cable in less than a minute and take your property. Sorry...that is just the reality.

If you don't have a mean and vicious pit bull (that scares me) to guard your property, keep your locked stuff in a well lit, public area and don't leave it unattended any longer than necessary. I may still get it, but the odds are now in your favor.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Albany , Oregon
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, advice and ideas.
We've yet to have anything stolen and hope to keep it that way - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?
It does seem that common sense and being reasonable is the best guide...
Most of all I want to have fun with the Airstream!
Oregonyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, advice and ideas.

We've yet to have anything stolen and hope to keep it that way - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?

It does seem that common sense and being reasonable is the best guide...

Most of all I want to have fun with the Airstream!

As someone said, we used to leave our home and cars unlocked, back in the good old days. Let's face it, there are a lot of crazies out there, especially in California. We live in a small gated area on a golf course. We have a security service that drives through 24 hours a day. We have had two robberies in the last two weeks and many more in the last couple of years. So even with security people can get in where they don't belong. It's often crimes of opportunity. It's not a war zone. We try to be cautious and lock some things and put other things away. Someone may be able to steal but we are at least going to slow them down or have them look elsewhere.
babybeluga is offline   Reply With Quote