Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
'69 Rear Window - U Gasket

Rear window on my '69 Overlander broke. It's a hinged window, extruded aluminum frame. Easy enough to fix. Just wondering about the U-shaped gasket, and how hard that is to find. Vintage Trailer has it here: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-477.htm

Is this something I'm likely to find in local stores? If so, do you know where? I don't mind ordering from VTS, but if I could find some tomorrow I'd like to finish this job.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I got mine from a local glass shop.

BTW the easy way to remove and install the window assembly from the trailer is to remove the rivet on one end of the body channel and then slide the frame out.

To replace the seal , drill out the rivets on the top left vertical rail at the top left and the rivets on the right bottom vertical rail.
There is a "L" insert in the corners . now you can slip the frame apart in a vertical motion.
This will release the glass and seal from the frame.
I made two the seal in two pieces , one with a section for the vertical and horizontal with a 45 cut for the corner .

After assembling the seal and glass into the frame I put a dab of Vulcum on the corers of the seal.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
thanks. Now I can't find a glass shop around here that is open on Saturday.

Oh, well.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Well, I got the gasket (more on that) replaced the window with plexi (for this old trailer it's adequate), and will get it installed next time I go out to the trailer.

I found the u-channel material on a hardware website that sold a large role of material for the same price as a small bag of it from VTS. So I now own an awful lot of the plastic u-channel material used for at least 1969 windows. If you need some, let me know.