Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Traverse City , Michigan
'68 type 3 hinge window replacement

I thought I was home free. I had replaced a bunch of windows in my 1968 Tradewind. Did the research, tempro 644 silicone caulk, hinge cleaned out really well, double sided tape on the glass. All was well for a few months. I did leave them open all summer, latched at the clips but open to air out the trailer (new purchase).

I did this back in late spring, and just this past weekend, my front glass slipped out of the hinge. Disaster averted, as it was caught oddly enough. I inspected some of the other windows I replaced, and the rear glass seems like it has slipped slightly in the hinge as well.

Is there a better adhesive I should be using to seal the window in hinge other than the tempro silicone? I could not tighten the hinge screws any further as I was having an issue with stripping on a few as it was.

I attached a couple pictures, in the event you have any tips for cleaning up the aluminum around the "airstream" lettering, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 1`.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	220477   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	220478  

TCTradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTradewind View Post
I thought I was home free. I had replaced a bunch of windows in my 1968 Tradewind. Did the research, tempro 644 silicone caulk, hinge cleaned out really well, double sided tape on the glass. All was well for a few months. I did leave them open all summer, latched at the clips but open to air out the trailer (new purchase).

I did this back in late spring, and just this past weekend, my front glass slipped out of the hinge. Disaster averted, as it was caught oddly enough. I inspected some of the other windows I replaced, and the rear glass seems like it has slipped slightly in the hinge as well.

Is there a better adhesive I should be using to seal the window in hinge other than the tempro silicone? I could not tighten the hinge screws any further as I was having an issue with stripping on a few as it was.

I attached a couple pictures, in the event you have any tips for cleaning up the aluminum around the "airstream" lettering, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks
Using silicone is not the way to install your windows.

The hinge comes apart when the inside screws are removed.

Clean up the glass where you installed the silicone.

Then, install thin double sided sticky tape at the top of each glass, on both sides of the glass.

Then place the glass onto the outside part of the hinge, followed by reinstalling the inside part of the hinge.

Tighten those screws the best you can.

Let the tape alone for a day, then CAREFULLY remove any tape that sticks out from the hinge, with a razor blade.

DO NOT use any pressure when the razor blade is cutting through the tape. If you do, you could nick the glass which will make it shatter.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote