Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

1967 22' Safari
Winchester , Arkansas
'67 Safari

Hi everyone, the wife and I recently purchased our first vintage airstream. We love it so much. I have a question, how do you remove the fixed windows so they can be resealed? Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Also I have discovered I'm obsessed with this trailer. Is that normal??? Lol
kenc2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Fixed windows

kenc2131, I assume you are speaking about the two non-opening panes of glass below the foremost windows on the curbside and streetside windows that open. Unless you are wanting to remove the interior skins that are surrounding these two glass panes (not recommended unless interior skins are already removed for other reasons)! The easiest way to re-seal these windows is to (caulk) seal around the edges where the exterior aluminum skin meets the window frames and to also (caulk) seal where the glass and the aluminum frames meet. DO NOT USE ANY SILICONE PRODUCT ON YOUR ALUMINUM!!!! It can cause damage to the aluminum and is very hard to remove! The best product to start with in the process is called Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure. It is available at almost every Boat and marine store. When it is applied to the joint of skin to frame and frame to glass it will wick into the gap between them and you continue to apply it until it no longer wicks in. Let it cure for 24 to 48 hours and then use a product called Acryl-R to (caulk) seal around the joints you used the crack cure to seal. It is best to use masking/painters tape to place a straight line on both glass and aluminum either side of the seam. This will help you to get a nice looking seal seam. Run a bead of sealant (Acryl-R) and let it skin over then remove the tape and let it cure. It will remain flexible so don't touch it once applied. Try to use a steady hand to apply an even bead. Test it after 48 hours by running (not spraying) water over the sealed seams to check for leaks. If no leaks are found you have done it! Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Fixed Window Interior Glazing

I also have a 67, 22-ft., Safari. One of my fixed windows leaks. I purchased from Vintage Trailer Supply, 1966-68 Airstream Fixed Window Interior Glazing, Part # VTS-504. You probably want to get the butyl rubber tape as suggested. You will not have to take the inside skins off to fix the leak.

Greg Anderson
Monona, WI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160803_192351_HDR.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	290788  
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The glass is held in by the vinyl window "stop". When old (like 50 years) it gets brittle and hard. I had to replace 2 of my lower fixed windows and it was a royal pain. I would first try and reseal them. Tape off the aluminum outside and then run some tape on the glass with a very small gap. Put vulkem in the space and then press it down into the gap with a finger and then wipe off all the excess. Most of the sealer will be forced down into the gap between the glass and frame. I'm talking a tiny gap. Remove the tape immediately and then wipe any sealer off the glass with a cloth with solvent. This should stop the leak and since the sealer has been forced down into the gap you should not see any on the glass. Replacing those fixed window was one of the most frustrating and difficult task I faced. Do not drill out the rivets on the frame!!! If you do try and remove it, get new vinyl.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

1967 22' Safari
Winchester , Arkansas
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try and reseal them the way you all have said. Thanks again
kenc2131 is offline   Reply With Quote