Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

2019 28' International
Alexandria , Virginia
2019 Shattered Rear Window

In July we purchased a 2019 28’-Inter Serenity. We were on our 3rd trip out from Virginia to South Carolina. We stopped at a rest area in North Carolina and discovered the rear window had completely shattered somewhere on the road. We did not get hit by a rock from the rear or go over anything on the road to cause a window to disintegrate completely. We immediately contacted Airstream who told us “sorry it’s not covered under warranty “. 5 months and a lot money for “sorry”...The closest Airstream dealer near Florence SC told us they couldn’t help for at least 5 weeks??? We sealed the window and returned home. Now trying to get Airstream to replace window.
FYI...we could never open the window and it was on our list to ask about when we winterized.
Has anyone else had issues with windows breaking??

Tnnfoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Sorry to hear this. Can you explain how you tried to open the window? These usually happen when someone unlatched the window and forgets to relatch it before departing.

billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
The windows are tempered glass. They break when something sharp (like a point on a piece of crushed rock) hits them. Especially easy to shatter when hit on the edge of the glass. If the glass is stuck to the weatherstrip, pushing a credit card or other non metal object between the glass and the weatherstrip, CAREFULLY, and moving slowly around the edge usually solves the problem. I spray silicone the weatherstrip twice a year so that dosen't happen. Wurth chemicals also has a weatherstrip conditioner that I use to keep all weatherstrip on the TV and trailer like new. This shoud be an insurance claim, not warranty. JMHO Chris
WBCCI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

2019 28' International
Alexandria , Virginia
2019 Shattered Rear Window

We have used a plastic putty knife to open windows before so that wasn’t the problem. We believe the window was defective.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Bummer...😡
Wouldn't your insurance cover it if AS refuses.
Custom cut Lexan is also a tougher option.

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
When my back window was shattered by a rock thrown from a lawnmower I just had a regular glass shop cut a new one, get it tempered and install it. Comprehensive insurance should cover it.

It’s curious that whatever needs attention on an Airstream so many owners immediately want to go to an Airstream dealer. I find many alternatives preferable.
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnnfoor View Post
. . .
We believe the window was defective.
Sounds like a real possibility. Even a tiny nick on the edge of tempered glass can cause an instant shattering, especially after many hot/cold temp cycles, plus road vibration IMO.

I would ask Airstream to cover a more local repair, without having to go to an AS dealer.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- FYI relevant search results of other posts here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=temp...com&gws_rd=ssl
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Cranston , Rhode Island
Sorry folks - road hazards are inevitable. But check with your insurance co? Personally, I pay the extra $20 per year for full-glass coverage - if you haven't inquired its cheap insurance and the insurance companies don't push it ?? - all my RV and Auto policies have it. It pays and there are no deductibles with glass policies. My experience. Best wishes
worthy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tnnfoor, sorry to hear about your window. We have a 2017 28' Serenity and have a similar difficult time with the rear window. Previous posters mentioned using a credit card to free a stubborn window and lubrication periodically. I highly recommend both of these. A plastic putty knife is thicker than a credit card and if put a little torque on it you might flex the window enough to cause a problem. I watched someone do that at a rally. I know it's frustrating, but unfortunately I don't think you'll get much traction with Airstream on a broken window.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Many AS owner's manuals recommend 303 Protectant to lube the window gaskets/seals, as did our dealer.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...303+Protectant

The wipes are a very handy formulation, as the container cannot spill its contents, and there is no over-spray:

https://www.amazon.com/303-Protectan...303+Protectant

It works well to lube the awning arms also, and has been mentioned here many times:

https://www.google.com/search?q=303+...com&gws_rd=ssl

If you use the 303 regularly, and open/close the windows a few times, there is usually no problem going forward IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I broke a window in my trailer on maiden voyage home because I left it open. I ordered the replacement window and hardware from service center at Air stream factory and they shipped it to my storage location and the lot owner ‘s service shop installed it. So many lessons learned on my part. Be sure you do a good job sealing over window area with plastic and duct tape to keep wet and bugs out.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #12

2019 28' International
Alexandria , Virginia
2019 Shattered Window

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Still hoping AS will cover but have submitted through insurance as well.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly of Center Moriches, NY) , South Dakota
BEFORE you submit ANY claim to your insurance, know that ALL claims are considered when it's time to renew your insurance policy. Insurers LOVE to receive $$$ and HATE to pay out $$$, even on legitimate claims. Unless the cost to replace glass is exorbitant, it might be wiser to pay a modest loss on your own.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We lost our front window on our 25FB due to lawn mower and a rock. Order a new one from C & G in Southern California. I installed myself no problems. New windows come with hardware installed on glass. Shipping and window around $500.00.