Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Restoring...

1977 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
1977 Ambassador - Non Existing Vista Window

Hi there!

I came across an airstream that I’m thinking about buying. However, it’s got a bit of a different window configuration that I’ve never seen before. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

- On the curbside, it does not have the roof vista widow to the right of the door.
- the door has a window
- on the opposite side of the door, the usually there are two sets of bottom vista view +big window + roof vista view. This airstream does not have one of the bottom vista view windows.

All looks factory... nothing added and removed diy. And owner doesn’t know much about it...

Should I be concerned? Or just a different confg by the factory?

Thanks!
-Bradley
brzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Restoring...

1977 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
These are the pictures
Old 05-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think the upper vista-views were generally optional back in the day, except perhaps on the top trims like Excella. Is there (or could there once have been) cabinetry on the street-side under that 2nd window? That would be a good reason to leave that lower window out, for example.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Vista View and Stack windows were optional when that trailer was built, though generally they would have been installed as a set, or package. The missing stack window can be easily explained by the fact that is probably where the television table was located, directly in front of the fridge. The Vista View on the curb side could have been intentionally omitted when the dealer ordered the trailer, so it wouldn't interfere with the awning. I see some mounting hardware for an awning, so this is a likely reason.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Hmmm. Does that door fit correctly? Lower “stack” windows and “Vista Views” can be explained but It appears the door to not be closed all the way. I hear door windows weren’t available on the mid 70s models. Later years with door windows were a different curvature which would explain why not closing correctly. Better be sure. Correct doors aren’t cheap.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Wow! Nice find! Even the axles don't look bad!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Restoring...

1977 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Thank you everyone for your help! The curbside roof vista window was actually there... but the picture had some glare on it so you couldn't see it. It is however missing one of the street side bottom vista windows... and after looking inside, it looks like it was because of the cabinetry that was on the other side. You all were right!

Thank you for all your help!
-Bradley