Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

1968 20' Globetrotter
Longview , Washington
1969 Globetrotter windows

Has anyone replaced the the front and rear windows of their Globetrotter? I bought new glass and adhesive from vintage trailer sales to replace the cracked plexiglass that the previous owner went cheap on. My question is, how do I remove the channel that the glass seats in to clean it and adhere the new window into it? Or do you adhere it in place? It seems to me that it would be nice to remove the channel and actually adhere the channel to the window and then replace it as a unit, as this would allow the adhesive to cure without the weight of the window on it. However, I removed the 5 or 6 screws from the inside of the channel but it is still attached to the crank arm. I looked at the crank arm and to remove it I would need a special tool to remove the small set clips. I'm afraid I will break them if I try to remove them without a tool, and I don't know where to get new ones. Anyway I'm kind of stuck at this point. I could replace the window into the channel without removing it but I need a warm dry day and an extra pair of hands. Any suggestions out there?
rickyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
rickyfish,
If your GT is a 68 (one place says 68 and one says 69) I can help you with the window question. Short answer is that you do need to remove the window from the trailer to do it right. It is kind of a long explanation for a simple job. PM me so I give you a call as I would rather tell you how to do it than type. I have walked several folks thru the process. You can damage the window glass bar if you aren't careful. Be glad to help.
B.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If your trailer is a 69 then you will have to remove those little C clips on the hold open rods. They are very difficult to remove, and when they do come off you will never find it. I've had every one off one my trailer and replaced them with C clips obtained at McMaster Carr. At that point you can remove the window frame by opening it way up allowing the window to disengage with the hinge. It is now easy to take the frame apart to replace with glass.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #4

1968 20' Globetrotter
Longview , Washington
Thanks for the information. I looked up the c clip on McMaster Carr. I will have to figure out which size/style I need. Is there a trick to removing the old ones and a tool to put the new ones on?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #5

1968 20' Globetrotter
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
If your trailer is a 69 then you will have to remove those little C clips on the hold open rods. They are very difficult to remove, and when they do come off you will never find it. I've had every one off one my trailer and replaced them with C clips obtained at McMaster Carr. At that point you can remove the window frame by opening it way up allowing the window to disengage with the hinge. It is now easy to take the frame apart to replace with glass.
Thanks for the information. I looked up. McMaster Carr and found c clips so I will have to figure out the size/style I need to get. Is there a trick to removing the old ones and a tool to replace the new ones?