Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Columbia , MD
Why didn't city water hook up work?

Warning: super newbie question. We rented an AS, our first camper experience. We read up in advance but apparently missed something because we ended up using water from the freshwater tank all weekend, not the city water, even though we were hooked up.

We hooked up to the water when we arrived at the camp site, but turned on the water pump (not realizing that we didn't need to). It wasn't until the water monitor went amber that we checked the water tank and it was down by half. So we had been drawing from the fresh water tank the whole time, not city water.

We reconnected the hose, etc. but it never switched over to city water. What did we do wrong?
almakatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Where were you camped? This time of year many campgrounds turn off the water supply to prevent freeze up. Do you know if water was flowing from the camp spigot?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Columbia , MD
Yes, water was flowing from the connection. We were at James River State Park in Gladstone, Virginia. Boy, it was lovely.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by almakatsu View Post
Yes, water was flowing from the connection. We were at James River State Park in Gladstone, Virginia. Boy, it was lovely.

Did you run the pump? If you didn't run the pump but had water pressure, then it was using city water.

I'm not sure how that works, actually... I'm guessing there's a check valve (or maybe the pump itself) in there somewhere that doesn't allow city water to back into the freshwater tank.

If you did run the pump then you may have had some combination of city/tank water.

James River SP is pretty nice!
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

You were actually drawing from both the fresh water tank and the city water source. If the pump had ben turned off, you would only draw from the city water source.

If the city water source has low pressure, you can improve pressure by running the pump along with the city water.

It was no problem. You didn't do anything wrong. Just top off your fresh water tank as necessary.

As you get into this RVing thing, remember that there is a learning curve, but it's not launching rockets.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Since you said "super newbie" did you have it hooked up to the right input? Perhaps you had water hooked up to your flushing input and not fresh water input. The fresh water on newer units requires you to unlock a door and attach? Just a guess, I saw it once with a newbie AS at a KOA
xfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I would also throw in that if you are in Columbia, MD it's time to start thinking about winterizing your trailer. I am in Western HOCO and winterized mine last weekend since it was in the 20's.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Columbia , MD
Thanks for the thoughtful tip! We were renting this past weekend, though. Trying it out to see if we want to take the plunge and purchase. It was a learning experience for sure. We'd never even hitched up before.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

This time of year, there is nothing at all wrong with running from the fresh water tank. In fact, it's actually a pretty good idea. The water hose going to the city water intake can easily freeze this time of year. Since the weather man often is off a bit, guessing when you will be ok or in trouble can be difficult.

Simple way to know you are on the fresh water tank: The pump buzzes each time you open a faucet or flush the toilet. No buzz = not coming from the tank.

One other point worth making - be sure to turn off the water pump before you hit the road. Otherwise a faucet can / will / does bounce open while in motion and you risk a flood in the trailer. I have data on this .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
When I was a super newbie on my first trip with the brand new AS, I attached the water hose to the water inlet (which is for flushing). I turned the water on full blast and continued getting things set up outside the AS. When I went inside, I noticed water coming out from under the bathroom door. Lucky for me, the shower and toilet had not yet been used. I haven't made that mistake again but it wouldn't surprise me if I do and it'll be most unpleasant.

Just a side note on the water pump and the fresh water tank. My pump makes a rat-tat-tat sound when one of the faucets is opened or the shower is used. It also makes this same noise when fresh water is not being used. I was concerned until I searched the forum and discovered this is normal.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
ejami5 - it is NOT normal for the water pump to cycle unless there is a valve open somewhere in the trailer.

There is a pressure switch in the pump which in turn activates the pump when the line pressure drops once the wall switch is in the ON mode. If the pump cycles without water use, it is an indication that there is a leak in the system. It may be as simple as the drain line dripping (not fully closed) under the trailer or there may be a bigger issue elsewhere with a line, fitting, or valve. Be sure to search for where the leak is occurring so you cure the leak or you will find water damage/floor rot over time.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote