Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I wonder if that rear bumper mounted bicycle rack was "experimental That is one heavy bike on there...

Thanks Fred, nice picture and history.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Lovely pic... really captures the moment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Stellalaluna:
Below is a photo of Wally's trailer #1, which is the prototype of the "International" self-contained trailer, at the foot of Austria's Arlberg Pass taken on the 1956 European Caravan.

www.vintage-americana.co.uk

+44 (0)7984 662 532

Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I wonder if that rear bumper mounted bicycle rack was "experimental That is one heavy bike on there...

Aaron
yeah, I noticed that, too! you'd think that Wally himself would know better!!

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #18
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It's nice to discuss history and old photos. Having collected many different serial numbers along with floor plan layouts of '59 and '60 TradeWind's, I have found very few of them with the dinette. None of the Ohio built units appear to have dinettes as none of the 30 or so in my registry have one and only a couple of the CA made ones do. I'm glad ours has the dinette as we never travel with more than the two of us and don't need to switch out to a bed. I think the booth is much more versatile than a goucho. Pictures of our dinette can be seen on my webpage link in my signature below.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Fred,

Thanks for the information. I love the pic and using a Caddy to tow - about the same year as my Pontiac. When my buddy gets his '51 FC done and starts towing with us using his '54 Ford wagon I suspect we'll raise a few eyebrows.

Fred, do you have a book I can purchase or a website with these types of pictures and the comments like you added for this picture? I have obviously been looking in all the wrong places. I may be missing something very enjoyable. I really love this stuff.

I've been looking at a '56 Caddy hardtop that's been wallowing in a fellows garage for a long time - completely restored but he's just a car-flipper and isn't really in to keeping anything although he's had this one for a long time and at one point wasn't responding to queries on it. I think it would make a fun alternate for the wagon. I may need to show this picture to Donna and see if I can create some enthusiasm for adding "just one more" car to the family . Not that I said that about the Chevelle, that was a birthday present so it shouldn't count.

Thanks again,
Barry
Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
It's nice to discuss history and old photos. Having collected many different serial numbers along with floor plan layouts of '59 and '60 TradeWind's, I have found very few of them with the dinette. None of the Ohio built units appear to have dinettes as none of the 30 or so in my registry have one and only a couple of the CA made ones do. I'm glad ours has the dinette as we never travel with more than the two of us and don't need to switch out to a bed. I think the booth is much more versatile than a goucho. Pictures of our dinette can be seen on my webpage link in my signature below.

Brad
FF
Brad

We also find the dinette in our Flying Cloud makes the trailer that much more enjoyable for us. We have the beds in the back and while one is sleeping the other can be up front making breakfast, reading a book, using the laptop or whatever. It was one of the things that swayed me to buy this trailer, and I was in the process of converting our Silver Streak from a gaucho to small dinette even though we hadn't camped with it as a gaucho.

Friends of mine bought an SOB that had a small hide-a-bed and a rocker/recliner in the front and after a summer of use decided they preferred the dinette for their style of camping. The folks who bought the trailer from them had been looking hard for a trailer without dinette.

Barry
Old 08-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Fred, do you have a book I can purchase or a website with these types of pictures and the comments like you added for this picture? I have obviously been looking in all the wrong places. I may be missing something very enjoyable. I really love this stuff. Thanks again, Barry
Hi Barry:

No book or website yet, excpet for one about Pendleton National Park Blankets: home page. I'm the woolmaster there. Many old Airstream photos are posted on the Sierra Nevada Unit's web site: Sierra Nevada Airstreams ... so spend some time poking around there.

I write a history column for Airstream Life Magazine called "Old Aluminum Adventures" that covers topics such as early Wally Byam and WBCCI Caravans, experimental trailers, interesting old trailer accessories, etc. I plod around in the past. In the current Fall 2007 issue I have written about one family's experiences on the 1956 European Caravan, during which the photo you admire was taken. The article has other Kodachrome photos of that caravan with pastel colored tow vehicles and shiny Airstreams in tow, delicious eye candy. .

Over the past 4 years I have written nuts-and-bolts trailer ID articles in the VAC's "Vintage Advantage" newsletter that detail Airstream trailer develpment and features from 1947 to 1968, the range of my knowledge.

Gathering factual data and old trailer images is a never-ending process that takes time and focus. I'm still plugging away at it. Thanks for asking.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Wash water holding tanks first appeared in 1973 or 1974, can't remember which year.
Fred, I have seen two 1973 Sovereign Internationals with wash water tanks. What I was told by a retired Airstream employee was the wash tank was an option on 1973 Internationals, and standard on 1974 Internationals, and optional on 1974 Land Yachts, then standard on everything in 1975. Her info seems to jive with what I have seen.