Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
weird!!!

I always end up with the weirdest leaks and this is going to be a long winded way to explain. About a month ago we checked out our water system to find out we had a few leaks so we drained all the tanks? And decided to wait until fall to tackle the plumbing we wanted to get some camping in so we just have used the rest areas at the campground. Yesterday I washed the trailer for this weekend camping trip about 3 hours later I came out to find a puddle under where we had found the leaks a month ago it was just a small drip drip then it stopped and the puddle dried up. This afternoon I came in to find 3 puddles so I started thinking I'm crazy and this is just to weird to post on the forums. I went in and opened the drain in the bathroom (center bath) that is how we found the leak to start with then went inside for about an hour when I came back out I have a small pond in my driveway what is going on? I'm just letting it drip. It's leaking on the outside below the hot water heater by the gas line on the belly pan and also about 12 inches back toward the bumper. My tanks are showing empty and they should be. Any ideas would sure help out am I going crazy or what?
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Personally I think you have gone around the bend Becky, what is probably happening is that some water is getting into the belly pan area around the lower rub rail or at the belt line. And it is leaking out where the other water leaked out, because that is where the holes in the belly pan are. I noticed this phenomenon on a center bath unit we were looking at a while back. But the "leaks" on this one were caused by rain running off and into the belly pan. Perhaps you need to spend some quality time with some caulking around the rub rail

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
done that.

Aaron, it has been sealed all around where you are talking about. The funny thing is it has something to do with the bathroom faucet when I open it (turn it on) that is when it leaks more outside. I just went out and pulled my plugs to the tanks and no water.
Air# 9552
Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I just went out and looked around again. Opened up the outside compartment where the hot water heater is and there is now a little bit of water there could the hot water heater hold water if so how do you drain it? It is the original hot water heater I think (Bowen) or at least it looks like it. It was dry yesterday.
Air# 9552
Old 06-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
I just went out and looked around again. Opened up the outside compartment where the hot water heater is and there is now a little bit of water there could the hot water heater hold water if so how do you drain it? It is the original hot water heater I think (Bowen) or at least it looks like it. It was dry yesterday.
Becky,
Yes the water heater could be holding some water. IIRC there is supposed to be a valve somewhere that allows it to drain down. I will have to look at mine when(and if) I get home. On some there is a anode rod that can be pulled but I don't think the Bowen's have that. IIRC the directions for draining the system involved opening 3 valves and running the nose of the trailer as low as it could go then as high as it could go to get all the water out of it. I will also check my owner's manual when I get the chance.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I think you all are all correct on all accounts. The rub rail leaks in this era trailer. It takes a lot of work to reseal it. See my comments here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...e-15132-7.html beginnng at post # 88.

Beck, you should be able to drain the hot water heater at the heater. On mine there is a valve that drains it out the side of the trailer.

There may be a leak in the bath at the sink. There was in mine.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear, but check each one, one at a time.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 AM   #7
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Gee, mine is dripping there too!

I was reading this string because there appears to be a leak somewhere under my water heater but not a big one. It has rained like mad here for the last four days & yesterday afternoon the sun came out for a while so I decided to sanitize my h2o system. The dripping you describe is EXACTLY where mine was dripping after I hooked up the city water line. It continued to drip (but less??) as I filled the holding tank and futzed around with that. The pex and connections & valves all seem fine. I don't know how to look under the water heater. The opening and recess for the "chimney" & thermostat pilot blahblah was totally dry. The water heater is surely the original and so are the furnace and stove.

Should I consider repair or replacement .

It goes to the Airstream dealer on the tenth for a complete going over by a pro - I hope the news is good.
That way I just have to refit the bathroom sink drain and put new washers & packing in the bathroom sink and shower faucets & away we go!!

Henry
henrydahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Henry,
When you find out about your leak let me know. I know we have some broken water lines in the trailer. We are not at that point to fix yet. But I did'nt have any water going to the trailer when I found this leak. Also I thought all my tanks where dry. I did was the trailer that day and the water may have gotten in the belly pan some way? I think also the water heater may have been a culprit in some way I think it still had water in it from the prev owner because when I went to find the drain plug I did have some water in it. Please let me know what you find out.
Air# 9552
Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
water Heater

We had a similar leak that showed up under the roadside end of the gaucho. It seemed like it might be the window or the battery compartment. Turns out that after looking everywhere else, it was a teeny tiny hole in the bottom of the water heater tank, where it had been rubbing against the floor. It only leaked when a valve was opened that would allow air to enter the hot water line.....(think of a finger on the end of a straw kind of situations). We had to remove the tank and inspect to see it. The heater was original equipment on our 1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 m. Everything wears out eventually!!
Good luck with your mystery leak. Let us know what you find out.

Larry and Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote