Old 04-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I'm with everyone above...It could be a leak...very serious and wood floors are expensive and messy to replace...or it could be just the check valve in the pump. Your pump is not that old. Maybe it picked up a bit of dirt or fiber in the check valve. You can purchase a new head and repair the pump...much cheaper than a new pump. But I would be watching under the belly pan for evidence of a water to do this when it is dry out since all kinds of rain water dribbles under the pan. The Pex plasic piping fittings are known to leak on occasion, but fortunately most fittings are visible under the counters or closet spaces

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
IIRC, you can get to the check valve in many pumps and inspect/clean. I know I did on a really old 1993 vintage.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
CHECK THIS before spending any money.

Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Our water pump seems to have a mind of its own lately and turn itself on even if no faucets are open. Can anyone explain why?

If you do not flush the air from your hot and cold water lines, you probably have some air trapped in the line. Most likely the shower as that is the last place I even bleed the air out of our system.

If you have considerable amount of air in the system, it will run and not get to pressure to stop running.

If it is a small amount of air in the line somewhere, toilet, sinks or shower(s) the pump will run for a second or two and quit.

Take a water hose on and attach it to your outside "city water" fixture. Run water into the system and bleed your interior fixtures any air. It will spit and bubble. When it begins to run clear, go to the next. Then when they all seem to be bled, one more time. Sinks, toilet and shower. Even the outside shower could be the culprit. The water pressure from your outside hose will do the job.

When traveling ALWAYS have the water pump OFF.

When pressure is not needed, just flip the pump to OFF. When pressure is needed, ON.

Since we are usually off the grid, we are on battery power and do not need the water lines under pressure until we need it to be.

I flush the water lines every time we are ready to leave home. You also need to have enough water in your fresh water tank so that the water pump does not push air back into the system. Otherwise, you go back to the beginning of this post and bleed them again.

This works perfectly... if not, then you can go to option B to Z.
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I guess this is just another instance of my anal retentive perfectionist coming out. Water systems should be completely free from leaks of any sort. I'd also suspect the pump check valve, but I couldn't accept it and turn the pump on and of. I'd have to fix it.

I used to be exactly the same! if the tiniest thing was not working properly on any piece of mechanical oe electrical equipment I owned, then whether I used it of not I could not rest until it was fixed because it was "Just not right!"

I do find however that as I age, these things fade into having less significance, I'm not sure if it is just a philosophical thing or just increasing laziness coupled with less energy!

PS - we only switch on our pump when we need use it, otherwise it is off. (But it doesn't seem to leak down anyway whenever I have tested it.)

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote