Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
undisclosed , Idaho
Water pump noise

Any tips on why my water pump is making so much noise? Is it because my fresh water tank is only 7/8ths full?
jeffryorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Was this noticeable after dewinterizing? How did you winterize? Did you blow out with air or use antifreeze?

Are you getting normal water flow out of faucets.

Check to see if pump mounting screws are tight.

Check to see if PEX pipes aren't vibrating against each other. I use pipe insulation on pipes that are next to each other.

Kelvin
Old 04-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! There are plenty of earlier threads on this, for instance:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...it-148414.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...se-124599.html

Airstream pumps are noisy -- some more than others. Pump noise is unrelated to water tank level (unless empty). Be sure to open a faucet when you turn the pump on, in order to let air out of the lines and have the pump get full suction on water only.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just how much noise is TOO much from the water pump ????? Mine makes a sort of vibrating humming noise. Loud enough to notice but hardly what I call bothersome. So do some pumps make enough noise to be annoying or are some silent ??? Personally I want to hear something from the pump so I know it's still there and helps remind me to turn it off before we hit the road. I have had 2 pumps. Both Surflo. I replaced the original when it failed to prime with one matched to it. Now the second started feeding water through the check valve back into the tank ( to overflow) and I changed it to the original pump that I have put a re-build kit in. So now I need to overhaul the second one for my spare. BUT, both make the same sounds.

That's my story.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Pex

I agree with KJ Ritchie using the pipe insulation. I kind of take it to extreme with the foam pipe insulation. I added it where ever I can reach a Pex line. Keeps them from vibrating against the wall and anything else.
On our 28 international the water pump is right under the fridge in the kitchen, you hear it good.
I bought those extension hoses to connect to the pump and run them circular around several times around the pump in the insulation. Supposedly those lines in a curve reduce the hammering by smoothing out Turbidity.
( or so they say) Seems to have worked pretty good.

I also put some neoprene shock bushings on all four corners, that I had out in the shed, on the pump legs between it and the floor. So it was one or the other that reduced the noise. I have one of those pressure tanks with a diaphragm to add it, if it becomes annoying again.

I have this other idea. I have a Box that has foam insulation in it. I thought about placing it over the Pump. Kind of a sound Isolation thing.
I will have to move the forced air hose. already moved some wires and added length and rerouted. It is somewhat less cluttered in there, or at least a organized Rats nest. Vacuumed out all the sawdust.

Try the foam insulation on the pex lines first. Change only one thing at a time and see how it is. I did the shotgun approach but now I don't know which one worked, LOL
Have a good one.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Mine is mounted on carpet. A slight hum is all that is noticeable
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Ballston Spa , New York
Hi Kelvin,
This is my first Airstream, so was wondering if you could assist with a related question please? When I turn my water pump on the bath sink and shower have good pressure and pump runs consistently. Kitchen sink however has little flow and the pump "stutters" while that one is open. Any thoughts for adjustments or troubleshooting?
Thank you!
Luna18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Does the kitchen faucet run OK when on city water hook up?

Is there an aerator in the faucet neck? It could be restricted. Does your faucet have separate hot and cold taps or is it a mixer faucet?

Does the faucet run slow on cold or hot only?

Is there a water filter inline with the faucet? It could be restricted.

If you disconnect the cold line from the faucet, put the end in a bucket and turn on the water pump does it flow better? That would isolated the faucet. If the water runs good then the faucet is the culprit. If the water still runs slow then the issue is downstream in the pipe.

Kelvin
Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
Hi everybody, My question is on my 2018 flying cloud 25 twin beds, I winterized the unit both ways with air and antifreeze.. Iam Dewinterize the unit and have noticed that when i put pump on which is very loud, i get a lot of air in the lines,, how to correct this problem..looking forward the some help..
Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quieting The Water Pump

Sometimes the pump will be extremely loud if the air space at the top of the hot water tank has been lost. The tank needs this head of air for the tank to act like an accumulator in the system. As the taps are opened, triggering the pump the air can compress and will smooth out the flow, quieting the pump.

Procedure:
Disconnect from city water and turn the fresh water pump off. Carefully open the hot water tank pressure relief valve (water will be hot) and drain some water out of the top of the tank. Turn pump back on and re-pressurize. Open a tap and things should be quieter.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We've found that after de-winterizing it takes some time for the air to get out of the lines.

We hook up to city water and run a whole boat load through all water faucets including outside shower and low point drains, then open bypass to water heater.

Then we run pump only from freshwater tank and run through all faucets again, including outside faucet. It's been our experience that the pump runs smoother as time goes on and air gets out of the system.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
water pump noise

I like large neoprene mounts on the feet of the pump. Looping the hose to help reduce the turbidity of the flow. That should lessen the 'hammering' sound. I would like a heavy-er hose. The freeze foam is good on Pex pipe and any hose that comes in contact with another material.
It was like a rats nest in the pump area, still like organized chaos. The black patch on the floor under the white pipe is an open hole into the 'underworld'.
I patched that one and one near the shower. Was surprised to just see cut out holes to the area under the floor. Didn't need spider-city advancing up from below. The wheel well is directly behind the HVAC hose I mounted up high out of the way. Sawdust removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump_area_0257.png
Views:	93
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	309541