Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

2012 22' FB Sport
Lexington , Kentucky
Water problem

I am a new to the rv community having recently purchased a 2012 Airstream sport 22'. Yesterday my daughter, her kids and I started the first trip. Last night we hooked up at a campsite. Unfortunately in was dark out. I inadvertently hook the fresh water to the wash out system. After cleaning up the water from all over the bath room I realized the problem and changed connections. This morning I dumped and the drains All cleared. (The system had never been used, only hooked up to test.) Tonight we arrived at our destination. We are staying at a friends house. I hooked up water correctly,left the hose on thinking that it turns off when full. When I came back an hour later I found that the shower had flooded. What am I doing wrong? The toilet was fine. I flushed it and it ran appropriately. Water did come up kitchen sink. Help! I am so excited to be doing this. I am Planning to retire and travel solo when I get all of this figured out. I appreciate any help that will point me in the right direction.

Sroughen
Sroughen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Kitchen Sink?

When you hook up to the city water inlet and turn on the water it will pressurize the system in your trailer. When you open a faucet the water will run out and when you close the faucet it will stop. If you leave a faucet open the water will continue to run and thus fill up your gray tank. Once the tank is full it will over flow into your shower pan.

If your faucets are all closed, I don't have a clue as to why if backed up in the shower. If your kitchen sink started to back up I am really at a loss. The shower pan would overflow far before the kitchen sink would backup.

I am sure someone else will let you know what might be going on. I will read with the utmost attention since I really don't know how the kitchen sink could possibly be involved.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sroughen View Post
...Tonight we arrived at our destination. We are staying at a friends house. I hooked up water correctly,left the hose on thinking that it turns off when full. ...

Sroughen
You have three places to add water to your trailer. One is the black water flushing system and I think you have figured this one out. The second one is the city water hookup. It is a threaded fixture that will accept a garden hose. This one is used when you have a water source available and when turned on it functions like I mentioned in my earlier post.

The third one is the fresh water tank. It is used when you are going to be camping without access to water and want to draw from the onboard tank. It is behind the door on the side of the trailer and is simply an opening you can add water to. There is no way to hook it up and then walk away.

If you tried to fill the fresh water tank and walked away while the hose was running it would simply spill out of the fill spout. No water in the shower nor any in the sink.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am confused by OP's post as well. Sroughen, could you walk us through, step by step, the scenarios you went through?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the AF.

I think the key here is trying to visit at the same time you are doing a task that requires your attention.

You, or someone, left the kitchen faucet open, filled the grey water tank till it backed up into the tub, while you were visiting the friends.

Do one job at a time.

This story would qualify for this thread?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...html#post51982

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

2012 22' FB Sport
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
You have three places to add water to your trailer. One is the black water flushing system and I think you have figured this one out. The second one is the city water hookup. It is a threaded fixture that will accept a garden hose. This one is used when you have a water source available and when turned on it functions like I mentioned in my earlier post.

The third one is the fresh water tank. It is used when you are going to be camping without access to water and want to draw from the onboard tank. It is behind the door on the side of the trailer and is simply an opening you can add water to. There is no way to hook it up and then walk away.

If you tried to fill the fresh water tank and walked away while the hose was running it would simply spill out of the fill spout. No water in the shower nor any in the sink.

It's been quite a while since my maiden voyage when I had water trouble. As it turned out, the pipes behind the shower were not connected properly. Took it to airstream factory and they replaced with a smile and an apology for the trouble. Have had shower issue again this year, but now I have a better idea how things work.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Sroughen is offline   Reply With Quote