Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Usually the problem seems to be low pressure. A device to boost the pressure would be nice to have.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Usually the problem seems to be low pressure. A device to boost the pressure would be nice to have.
When that's the problem, fill the fresh tank and use the pump and city water when you need the pressure....like for a shower. One of these days, I'm going to install a pump bypass so I can keep the fresh tank filled without disconnecting and pulling the hose around to the fill port.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

Snip...
One of these days, I'm going to install a pump bypass so I can keep the fresh tank filled without disconnecting and pulling the hose around to the fill port.

Do you have an outdoor shower on your trailer? If I want to add fresh water at a camp where I'm connected to city water, I just remove the shower head from my outdoor shower, put that hose in to my fresh tank and open the cold outdoor shower spigot. No need to disconnect the city hose and drag it to the other side.

You may be talking about something else so if I missed that, my apologies...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No, Steve, That's brilliant...but I have no outside shower and my tank fill is curbside. I do have a standard stick house type hose bib in a lower compartment...but it is streetside.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
When that's the problem, fill the fresh tank and use the pump and city water when you need the pressure....like for a shower. One of these days, I'm going to install a pump bypass so I can keep the fresh tank filled without disconnecting and pulling the hose around to the fill port.
Thanks, I have done that a few times for showers.

My trailer came with a box of plumbing goodies. Got digging thru it today and found this. Guess I have an external pressure regulator after all.

Same as this
Amazon.com: Camco 40053 Brass Water Pressure Regulator: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	248323  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Is the on board AS regulator just inside the fill connection and easy to replace? I am in Florida and have 40# at the hose, but not enough pressure to flush the toilet inside, so I am thinking the onboard regulator has gone bad. I have '07 Classic Limited.
senioryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, just on the inside wall from the fresh water hose connection.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCliff View Post
Do I need a water pressure regulator when hooking up to water at an RV campsite to fill up my fresh water tank? I've heard that it will serve as added protection from damage to my plumbing if there is too much water pressure at the site.
No regulator is necessary when filling the tank. It's not pressurized, so you turn the hose off manually when it's full, and then you're good for at least a day or two.

But usually, if you're staying at a campsite where water is available, you don't use the tank, instead, you use the city water connection on your trailer. For that, pressure is only rarely a problem.

In six years of traveling I've run into one campground that had a problem with high pressure water, and they had signs up to that effect, saying it was 100 PSI and you should use a regulator on the campground tap, or just fill your freshwater tank instead of using the city water connection. They had regulators for sale in the office.

My trailer has a built-in pressure regulator but I found that the hose would drip no matter what I did.

Quote:
When that's the problem, fill the fresh tank and use the pump and city water when you need the pressure....like for a shower.
Noise and flow rate are the main problems.

Quote:
One of these days, I'm going to install a pump bypass so I can keep the fresh tank filled without disconnecting and pulling the hose around to the fill port.
Be sure you put in an overflow. A badly overfilled freshwater tank can not only burst, it can damage the frame and floor too.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Has anything changed on newer (2015) AS when it comes to water pressure regulation? Is it still a good idea to use an external pressure regulator to protect the hose, etc?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #30
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes, we use an external pressure regulator to protect the hose and external water filter. Otherwise, we wouldn't bother - we just dislike the potential of a burst hose and gallons of potable water all over the campsite.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I saw that on your blog. Do you still like the SS one you list?

I am thinking of going with the lower end Camco blue filter for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yes, we use an external pressure regulator to protect the hose and external water filter. Otherwise, we wouldn't bother - we just dislike the potential of a burst hose and gallons of potable water all over the campsite.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't think a second pressure regulator is needed, and I don't think it will protect the hose.

I think the hose bursts from sitting in the hot sun with a volume of water trapped in the hose between the campground backflow prevention valve and your Airstream's closed water system. The water expands and the hose material is the weakest link.

A better hose protection device that also protects your Airstream plumbing from expansion damage is a water pressure accumulator mounted inside the Airstream and connected to your Airstream plumbing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Water Pressure Regulator Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
I saw that on your blog. Do you still like the SS one you list?

I am thinking of going with the lower end Camco blue filter for now.

Yes, we still like the SS Camco regulator. Again, it's nice to have, not necessarily required. We like to think it protects the hose, etc. and so we use it. Pretty cheap insurance, really.

Dkottum may be right about the accumulator, btw. We have no idea.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I don't think a second pressure regulator is needed, and I don't think it will protect the hose.

I think the hose bursts from sitting in the hot sun with a volume of water trapped in the hose between the campground backflow prevention valve and your Airstream's closed water system. The water expands and the hose material is the weakest link.

A better hose protection device that also protects your Airstream plumbing from expansion damage is a water pressure accumulator mounted inside the Airstream and connected to your Airstream plumbing.

Hi, Doug; I have been in camp grounds that have around 100 lbs of water pressure and for these I use an external water pressure regulator. This is to protect my hose and filter. Do you really think an accumulator will prevent this? I don't know the rating of a water hose, but I think 100 lbs is too much for one.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
How long has AS been using the internal regulator, what is its expected service life, where is it located and can it be replaced by an AS owner?
James
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
How long has AS been using the internal regulator, what is its expected service life, where is it located and can it be replaced by an AS owner?
James

Hi, I don't know how long Airstream has been using a built-in water pressure regulator, but it is located, and part of, your water inlet.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
AS has these parts for around $40, we were at a State Park last summer and before I knew it, it blew out the AS regulator. Stop in Denver and fix in 1 hour, now I check water at all camp grounds, and all better to be safe than sorry.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
What pressure is the AS regulator set at?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
60 psi, iirc.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks!
Quote:
60 psi, iirc.