Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Water Pressure Regulator

Since I am re plumbing the entire trailer do I need to use this old Pressure regulator.

Can I use this instead?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy Pressure regulator.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	268592   Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure regulator.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	268593  

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If I was going to the trouble of replacing the water system like you are, I would get a new adjustable regulator that has a gauge on it, then there will be no question that the water pressure is correct.

I have one of those in-line regulators that I use in addition to the one already in our Avion. Using both doesn't seem to cause any issues.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Not "lucky"....... BLESSED!!!!!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
No you don't. Though I bet it's not so old from seeing how shiney it is, not much patina. You can use one like your bottom picture, though there is a better one available.

http://m.campingworld.com/browse/sku...FQcaaQod_BUGlg
It costs a bit more but you can adjust the pressure to your desires.

I've been using the one you had pictured this summer and not really impressed, it seems to restrict the flow quite often when the pressure is probably not very high to begin with.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have a Watts adjustable regulator coming. I figured if I was going to the expense of upgrading my water filtration system to a double canister system from The RV Water Filter Store might as well go all the way.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I had one of the regulators in the lower picture. It controls pressure ok, but the flow it allowed was too low to let my tankless water heater operate properly in a campground with known low pressure. And, by the way, they had very clear signs warning of the issue with that regulator. (Which I ignored &#128534 My new one has a gauge on it. The simple low flow one got tossed. I learn, but sometimes after the test instead of before.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
You do not have to use a regulator if you never encounter high pressure. But, when you travel in new places you need to be prepared for high water pressure. I was traveling earlier this year and encountered one campground with 80+psi water pressure. The campground manager warned me when I checked in. I'm glad that I had both regulators

I would use a regulator similar to the existing one. Or, use the old one if you can determine that it has been replaced. When you remove the existing regulator look into the inlet. If the screen is corroded and crammed full of sand, gravel, and scale... replace it.

I suggest using a "union" fitting on both ends of the regulator so it will be easier to maintain if needed in the future.

I don't trust those regulators that mount on the hose bib, though I carry one to protect the hose when needed.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I use an external pressure regulator on my Argosy. It is an adjustable one with a gauge. Never had any problems.
If you use PEX with the appropriate fittings your new system should handle the pressure.
After all, many new homes are plumbed entirely with PEX and withstand the high city water pressures.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would use a combination built-in water pressure regulator/external hookup which will do the job. I would also add a water pressure accumulator to take up excess pressure, not from the external water supply, but from the expansion within your own (locked) water system, usually caused by expansion as water is heated in the water heater.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have a Watts adjustable regulator coming. I figured if I was going to the expense of upgrading my water filtration system to a double canister system from The RV Water Filter Store might as well go all the way.
I did a search on Watts regulator and found this warning on the MSCdirect website

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-038...CppxoCzJ3w_wcB

Description for Watts 0386450

"Do not use this item for any installation or repair of potable water applications. This product does not comply with the "Safe Drinking Water Act," which requires that products meet low-lead standards in order to be used in systems providing water for human consumption (drinking or cooking). This item is for non-potable (non-human consumption) water applications only."

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
I did a search on Watts regulator and found this warning on the MSCdirect website

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-038...CppxoCzJ3w_wcB

Description for Watts 0386450

"Do not use this item for any installation or repair of potable water applications. This product does not comply with the "Safe Drinking Water Act," which requires that products meet low-lead standards in order to be used in systems providing water for human consumption (drinking or cooking). This item is for non-potable (non-human consumption) water applications only."

Then maybe "you" should not use that model.

For what it is worth that is not the model that is used in RV systems. Go to the RV Water Filter Store for further information on appropriate models.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Why would you want to remove it? Generally they are hassle free with no need to worry about them
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
Why would you want to remove it? Generally they are hassle free with no need to worry about them
It's not mine, I just hijacked a sample picture. So far I cannot see that I have one.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Then maybe "you" should not use that model.

For what it is worth that is not the model that is used in RV systems. Go to the RV Water Filter Store for further information on appropriate models.
I apologize if I upset you. I just found that warning and wanted to pass it on with the best of intentions.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
I apologize if I upset you. I just found that warning and wanted to pass it on with the best of intentions.
Not upset. Just thought it was not germane to the discussion as it was not the type used in RVs. Go to the web site for The RV Water Filter Store for the appropriate Adjustable regulators to use and why.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
yes that's me not germane, I'm Scottish!

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #16
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Why not just install the $41 Shurflo city water inlet with pressure regulator that comes standard on the new Airstreams? Looks to be an easy thing. Is there a good reason not to use these?

http://airstreamsupply.com/Fresh-Wat...ator-601392-05
Old 08-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Why not just install the $41 Shurflo city water inlet with pressure regulator that comes standard on the new Airstreams? Looks to be an easy thing. Is there a good reason not to use these?

http://airstreamsupply.com/Fresh-Wat...ator-601392-05

"Reason not to use"
They are not adjustable. Preset to 40-50 PSI. Modern trailer plumbing can safely and easily handle up to 80 plus. Standard sized dual water filter canister systems function at an optimum 60 PSI according to The RV Water Filter Store customer service line.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Thanks for the info.
So, for me, there's no reason not to use the one that came with the trailer. I don't see any real advantages of having 80 psi in the trailer vs 50 psi. And 50 psi is less likely to cause leaks, anyhow. I don't see me worrying too much about the optimum pressure of a water filter I don't use. We don't drink plastic tank water, but we do run it through a Camco particulate/carbon filter. I suspect those will still work just fine with 15 psi less than optimum, too. Simple is good. "Adjustable" usually means less simple.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Thanks for the info.
So, for me, there's no reason not to use the one that came with the trailer. I don't see any real advantages of having 80 psi in the trailer vs 50 psi. And 50 psi is less likely to cause leaks, anyhow. I don't see me worrying too much about the optimum pressure of a water filter I don't use. We don't drink plastic tank water, but we do run it through a Camco particulate/carbon filter. I suspect those will still work just fine with 15 psi less than optimum, too. Simple is good. "Adjustable" usually means less simple.

Sounds ok to me. What ever works for you is what you might want to go with.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The one that comes with our Airstream is within the external hose attachment, factory set at 65 psi, has a check valve, and works fine.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote