Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Water Pressure

We always get better water pressure when using the water pump, as opposed to that coming in from the campground (yes, I do have a pressure reducer in line). Makes a great difference having a shower!

Recently, a RV repair person suggested raising the pressure to 50PSI would not damage the motorhome plumbing. Seems a bit high. The MH and its plumbing is 1999 vintage (but Airstream, so it has to be top quality!). Appreciate your collective wisdom as to a safe psi.

Recently bought an adjustable pressure gauge, so can set whatever pressure I want.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have my adjustable regulator set a t 50 psi. and when I blow the lines for winterizing, I do so at 50psi air pressure. Done it this way with all my trailers and never had a problem.

The shurflo regulator installed in your AS is rated at 65psi, so I'm not sure how you would raise (presumably low) city water pressure without using your pump. I also have a gauge at the spigot end of my hose and rarely see 65psi available.

A quick, but not thorough, scan of Shurflow site shows the Revolution pump shutoff pressure at 55 psi.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I doubt it is a pressure problem but more likely the screen on the city water connection is clogged. You should be able to see the screen when the hose is disconnected. Inspect it.

Another test is do you have an initial strong flow just as you turn a faucet on. At that point in time the system is pressurized to the city pressure. If the flow drops off just after the faucet is turned on you have a flow problem, clogged screen, and not a pressure problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sometimes the campground water pressure isn't that great and is affected when others are using water as well. I have often resorted to running the pump for the onboard water tank while also connected to the city water. This gives a great boost to pressure. Just be sure you have access to sewer for the additional gray water!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Keep in mind that the pump ONLY draws water from the fresh tank.

If you run the pump to boost water pressure, you are consuming water from your fresh tank to do so...

Its not plumbed as a true city water pressure booster...the city water connection does NOT feed into the input of the water pump.

Notes from the 'overkill engineering department": Yes, with the addition of a couple check valves and a shutoff valve, you could set the water pump up to boost water pressure from the city connection. However, you would also have to add a listed backflow/vacuum break assembly to the city water input to meet code. IMHO, not worth the hassle.

The easy fix is to fill the fresh water tank from the campground faucet through your in-line filter and water hose, disconnect, and just run off your fresh tank...using your pump.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thanks all. I'm going to go to 50psi for city water, using my regulator. That should match pretty well the water pump psi.

Mike
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
I understand this is an older post but close to what I'm search for

My issue is close to what is going on here. BUT the difference is that my kitchen sink and bathroom sink pressure is great on either city water or fresh water. My shower starts good on city and slowly diminishes while on fresh water is starts and stays strong. The kitchen and bath faucets are strong and stay that way. Clean screens, Clear hose from Shower diverter to handheld shower , clear screen in shower handle. Not sure where to look next. Open to suggestions.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote