Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Indiana
Question Water on floor by bed

We have a 2013 FC 25' rear bed, and on three occasions on a recent trip, we have had a puddle (maybe 1 sq ft) of water on the floor in the morning beside the bed. This is next to the water heater bypass access door and adjacent to the bathroom wall. Everything around the water heater is dry, but there is also water a little in the bathroom behind the toilet, and under the wall. At first I thought it was water above the toilet seal that have sloshed out during travel, but it's more water than normally is in the bowl. If memory serves me correctly, each time it happened the morning after emptying the tanks and filling the fresh water tank.
Any ideas? Also, I suspect the source to be behind the 45 deg panel in the corner behind the toilet. What is in there? Just a vent line, or what else?

Darryl

Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I don't if this applies but, we have a 2012 20 foot FC and my leak was coming from the fresh city water hook up. It didn't matter if we had full hookups or dry camping. The water pump pressurizes the line and the leak was worse when we turned the water heater on for showers. I removed the 4 screws from the outside and reached in under cabinet in the bathroom and disconnected water line. I took it apart saw nothing wrong and screwed the gaskets together and tightened with even pressure. Reinstalled everything and no more leaks.
Hope this helps, it worked for us on our month trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have the same Airstream as you and had the same leak. The water supply line fitting at the toilet was not tight enough, the leak ran under the wall partition and to the bedroom by the bed. I tightened it by hand.

It only leaked when the water heater was on causing the water in the system to expand.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #4

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Indiana
Thanks. I turned on the water pump to pressurize and fired up the water heater and sure enough, the toilet supply line started a slow drip after a few minutes. I snugged it down and it seems to be ok. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A major reason for leaks with the hot water heater on is water expansion in a closed system. The water heater is designed to have an air space in the top of it, but this air space can be easily lost due to absorption of the air in the water, or release through the Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve located on the water heater.

Here's an article from Airstream in the WBCCI magazine describing the T&P Valve and how to restore the air space. Look at the paragraph titled T&P Valve - Excess Pressure. You may have to do it often, especially with the combination propane/electric water heaters because of the high temperatures they can reach.

We turn our water heater off at night and when not being used, that helps.

http://wbcci.org/general-information...-november-2013

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Dkottum,

Good read thanks. Learned about a desirable air bubble.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have the same Airstream as you and had the same leak. The water supply line fitting at the toilet was not tight enough, the leak ran under the wall partition and to the bedroom by the bed. I tightened it by hand.

It only leaked when the water heater was on causing the water in the system to expand.
We had the same with a faulty commode valve ... it is designed to be the weak link if exposed to freezing weather ...