Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
surrey , British Columbia
Water mystery

25ft Safari fb. The fresh water is draining into the gray water tank. Takes about 2 days. My valves are set according to the book. I have no flooding. Does anyone know if there is valve position that could be open. Is the very bottom valve in the right position. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	243955  
Joyce355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Your valve settings look right to me, but those are all associated with the water heater. I believe the lower valve on the floor is the water heater drain tank. Short of an extreme plumbing error in manufacturing, I don't know any way water could be getting into the gray tank from the fresh tank without you knowing about it. The gray tank is fed by the shower and the two sinks. If you are losing water from the fresh tank into the gray tank you should see it in a sink or the shower and you should hear the pump running.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As noted above there should be No Path for fresh water to get to the gray water tank other than from a faucet and sewer drainage piping.

With the fresh water tank full, disconnect from city water, and turn the pump on. If there is water going to the gray water tank other than when you are using fresh water you will here the pump short cycling from time to time.

My first guess is you are using far more water than you think you are. Most new campers can fill a gray water tank in 2 days.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Is this a new issue?

Is your water pump cycling on/off in short cycles?
Check for leaking faucet valves. Turn off the pump when not in use. Is water still going to the grey tank?

Another possibility is, and please don't take this wrong, how much water is draining to the grey tank? Have you refilled the fresh tank, and drained the grey tank to see if the amount of water is equivalent? Or are you using the Micro Pulse monitor as a guide? It's possible if there are no leaking faucets, the Micro Pulse is acting up?

Good Luck
Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I agree with Howie's last suggestion as well about not realizing water use. I've seen experienced campers do it as well.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Water mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
As noted above there should be No Path for fresh water to get to the gray water tank other than from a faucet and sewer drainage piping.

With the fresh water tank full, disconnect from city water, and turn the pump on. If there is water going to the gray water tank other than when you are using fresh water you will here the pump short cycling from time to time.

My first guess is you are using far more water than you think you are. Most new campers can fill a gray water tank in 2 days.
Thanks for your response. I am not using the trailer, so no water used. Filled the fresh water tank Fri. Morning. Today it's on yellow. Lots of water coming out of gray tank which was totally empty fri. Morning. No taps open, no sounds of dripping water .... I'm mystified. If I get this figured out, I'll inform you. Thanks
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Water mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I agree with Howie's last suggestion as well about not realizing water use. I've seen experienced campers do it as well.
I'm not using the trailer. Just constantly filling the tank and draining the gray. Tomorrow I will Can-am to see if they can shed light. Thanks anyway. Joyce
Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Water mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Is this a new issue?

Is your water pump cycling on/off in short cycles?
Check for leaking faucet valves. Turn off the pump when not in use. Is water still going to the grey tank?

Another possibility is, and please don't take this wrong, how much water is draining to the grey tank? Have you refilled the fresh tank, and drained the grey tank to see if the amount of water is equivalent? Or are you using the Micro Pulse monitor as a guide? It's possible if there are no leaking faucets, the Micro Pulse is acting up?

Good Luck
Drew
I'm not using the trailer. Just emptying and filling. The amount going out is equivalent the the amount going out. Thanks for you response. Joyce
Old 07-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce355 View Post
I'm not using the trailer. Just emptying and filling. The amount going out is equivalent the the amount going out. Thanks for you response. Joyce
I meant to say "the amount going IN is equivalent to the amount going OUT". J
Old 07-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
How about......

Make sure the water heater and pump are turned off. Then close every valve in the trailer. Wait a day or so and check water levels in the tanks. If the grey tank is empty, then open valves one at time beginning at the fresh water tank. Wait a day and check levels again. Next day, open another valve and repeat the process, etc, etc.

Time consuming, but you may be able to discover a misrouted line someplace.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Can you quantify "yellow" and "lots coming out"

Yes an older gray water tank that has been drained will have additional water in it after a short time. The side walls of the tank have scum on them and will release a small amount of water after a drain. but not gallons.

If the fresh water tank had a leak and was leaking into the belly pan that would account for a lose in that tank. But there is no way for that water to get into the gray water tank and thus out trough the gray water tank valve.

Inquiring people want to know.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Do any of the appliances in the 2008 AS have drip pans under them? Like the hot water heater?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Kinda curious of you ever figured this one out?? Any news?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote