Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Water Manifold . . .

I've been asked as a result of the pictures I recently posted to provide an explanation/purpose for a water manifold. So here is my "quick" answer . . .

A water manifold is used to provide a centralized location for the water system valves/controls. This kind of a system was not used by the manufacturer in the older units, making it difficult to access each valve to each line segment (i.e. cold water line to the water heater, hot water line coming from the hot water heater, cold water line to the tub, etc.): some valves could be accessed from within the closet floor, for example, while others were located in hard-to-get places, usually from an outside access door.

As a result, winterization was difficult. Resolving water line issues were a pain.

I decided that would change when rebuilding Spiffy, and finally posted close-up pictures of the result.

The water system (manifold and all PEX hardware) is made for high pressure, meaning that I can use high pressure shore water without having to regulate the pressure. Check valves (visible in the picture) keep high pressure from my water pump and fresh water tank.

Lastly, and I know some will tell me this is not good, I designed things so I could use an air-compressor to blow the water out of my water lines (I have this paranoid idea that RV anti-freeze makes my water taste bad, and can't be good for you). I do use RV anti-freeze in the water pump, but have created a system by which I can flush it out in the spring without running it through the entire system.

I'm not sure how to link the pictures from my profile, so here are the two links:
1) http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...imageuser=8174
2) http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...imageuser=8174
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Good work

Spiff,
Saw the photos in the gallery earlier today. Seems like a great system. Congrats.
Where exactly is it located? Looks as though you could drain each section separately if needed.

If you scroll down the reply page you can add photos from the manage attachments area.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Bob,

It is located in the back (I kept the bathroom very close to original) and is accessible from the outside access door.

I can (and do) drain each section separately. In fact, the toilet and hot water tank get blown out at a lower pressure than the rest of the system.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Looks like a very neat and thought out system. How does it eliminate the need for a pressure regulator for city water? Some hookups could be very high pressure.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Looks like a very neat and thought out system. How does it eliminate the need for a pressure regulator for city water? Some hookups could be very high pressure.
Ok, to be more exact, I can withstand the pressure contained within house specifications (mine, particularly).

I do carry a regulator that I can connect to my hose for that need to hook up to a fire hydrant.

I have tested the system to 90 lbs.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Where did you get the manifold components?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Spiffy, I think your manifold is just - well - spiffy!!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Where did you get the manifold components?
Well, I was shopping around and didn't find anything. Then one day I walked into Home Depot and there it was; they only had one, and some of the parts were missing. . . .
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post
Well, I was shopping around and didn't find anything. Then one day I walked into Home Depot and there it was; they only had one, and some of the parts were missing. . . .
Is there a manufactures nameplate and /or part# or model#?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Is there a manufactures nameplate and /or part# or model#?
I'll look tonight and report back . . .
Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Good looking system,as far as high pressure ,we test @ 150# of air before ever introducing water in the system,especially on a high rise unit,only leak I`ve had was when a crimper was out of calibration. Plumber Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Spiff
DITTO What PoP RIVET said . Cool set up.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Good looking system,as far as high pressure ,we test @ 150# of air before ever introducing water in the system,especially on a high rise unit,only leak I`ve had was when a crimper was out of calibration. Plumber Dave
I really don't know the limit of this manifold: I've just tested it to 90 lbs. My air compressor goes to 125 psi, but didn't feel the need to test past 90 psi. Awe, man, now you got me going . . .
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
OK, I checked out the manifold, and only found the letters "Q NSF PLS P", which doesn't tell anybody the make or model. So I went out surfing and found what looks to be the same thing for $69.99: ZURN/QEST QPPM10N PEX QUICKPORT MANIFOLD

The same site sells the brass fittings and pex caps. The pex valves and fittings can be had at most plumming supply stores (they are common items).
Old 11-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
You're welcome. Hope it helps. Brand is Zurn.

"Hot and cold potable plumbing manifold designed to reduce installation time and save energy by running dedicated lines to each plumbing fixture. Manifolds without valves let the consumer choose the type of connections that best suit the specific job. Comes ready for installation and can be easily installed by mounting it in an accessible area and selecting the appropriate size line and connector to run to each fixture (supply lines and connectors are sold separately). Manufactured using an engineered polymer. Factory tested to ensure reliable service."
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Seatech and Sharkbite also makes manifolds, if you're interested.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote