Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2002, 09:56 AM   #1

water line leak

yup, it happened! a pool of water appearing in the middle of my carpet, just about a foot in front of the toilet. not connected to toilet or outside, just on the floor. looks to me there is a water line going from intake through floor to shower (this is a '95 30' excella. question is: how do i get to the water lines? under the trailer i would have to drop the waste tanks. is there a way to pull up the carpet and go through the inside?

thanks,
bugsy108
Bugsy1082002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:45 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Remove section of floor

I have actually removed a section of floor for a repair.

I used stud finder to locate cross members and cut out the floor to the middle of each cross member, leaving something to screw the new piece of floor to.

you can get a section out about 18" x 18".

Be careful to not allow your skill saw, (circular saw) to penetrate the floor any more than the thickness of the wood. ( about 3/4")

It is a messy job but it beats removing the belly skin and risking leaks.

Smily

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 12:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Leak hunting

A reasonable way to find water leaks is to use an air compressor. Drain all the water from the trailer. Connect an air compressor to the city water connection. From the air compressor line, use a pressure regulator that can reduce air pressure to about 25 psi. Usually in just a short time the water leak becomes evident. Using the correct owner's manual or service manual will indicate the water pathways....
Another method is to add food coloring to the holding tank and operate system as normal and look for any leaks. Some times it is helpful to put together a water pressure test gage that can be connected to the kitchen sink fauucet. The gage will indicate the rate of the leak, as big or small, and give an indication of the water system pressure as pump cycles...
Old 10-27-2002, 09:34 AM   #4

thanks for the info. it looks like i am going to go in through the floor but first i am going to make sure exactly where the water line is located.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
a pool of water appearing in the middle of my carpet, just about a foot in front of the toilet
Just wondering how a pool of water would appear on the TOPSIDE of the floor? How would it get through the Floor? Water flows downhill, not uphill. Do you have evidence of a leak UNDER the Airsteam? I would dry up the carpet (ShopVac) and then pressurize the system and start watching.

Do you live in the Airstream or just happened to open it up and find this?

Also, did you buy it new, original owner? Warranty? The reason I ask is tearing up the floor is major work. I would go in from the bottom, but that is just me.

Since I have no experience with newer models, correct me if I am wrong please, but aren't the water lines still on the inside?

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:27 AM   #6

thanks for useful comments, got me thinking a bit more. no leaks showing on bottom of trailer, but the grey and black tanks are directily under where leak would appear. how does the water get up through floor board to carpet? very interesting....