Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Water leak under sink!!! Help

Hi everyone. We have a new 2013 flying cloud and I walked in today to find water leaking out from under sink and also from the outlet that is right under the battery use/store switch. I looked under sink and there was water on the right side. I wiped it all up but can't find the source of the leak. There is also some water leaking from the wheel well dripping outside. I am freaked out now about water damage. I am going to call dealer tomorrow when they are open but any suggestions as to where this might be coming from? Everything seems dry. We are hooked up at campground. Pictures are where water was found as I put some washcloths there to catch anything that leaks now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1214829186.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	185082   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2634151897.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	185083  

Name:	image-754002748.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	185084  

Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I would start by using everything at the sink. The water filter, the spray handle, and both hot and cold water. Watch it closely when using stuff, plus while idle. Look at the underside of the faucet. My guess is that you will see something spraying, as it got the side of the cabinet wet. I suspect that the water dripping near the wheel well is just an accumulation. I doubt that it damaged anything, so just leave the cabinet door open, and perhaps run a fan into it.

Try moving hoses, check connections, too. Check to make sure the p-trap is tight, as well. The drain is probably no the issue, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
More than likely the leak is from one side or the other of that "winterization" line, that short straight line high and to the left in your first photo. It's meant to be replaced with a inline water filter that should be furnished with your new trailer, then removed for winterizing.

These two line connections are just snugged down by hand ay the factory and probably passed leak testing of the plumbing.

But, you have a new trailer with a combo propane/electric water heater. When the electric heater portion is on the water gets very hot. There is intended to be a bubble of air in the water heater to absorb the increased water pressure caused by the expansion of the heated water. If this air bubble is absorbed by long term use, or lost by release of the water heater pressure relief valve, the pressure will reveal any weakness in your plumbing system.

These hand-snugged fittings may be it, maybe not, but a good place to start. We as well as others have had problems with this, so I installed a small water pressure accumulator to take up some of the extra pressure. But you still should maintain the water heater bubble of air, I believe.

Her's the water pressure accumulator install . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...or-100341.html

doug k
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And here's how to restore the air bubble in your Atwood water heater . . .

http://wbcci.org/general-information...-february-2013

doug k
Old 05-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Doug,

I did see the thread regarding the hot water bubble and there is a ton of info on that I need to go through as well as your install of the expansion tank. I am an Airstream newbie so could you please be a bit more specific on the "winterization line" you spoke of? Is it the line coming out of the white pipe? Or is that just the cold water line? I am just not sure which line you are referring to in order to check for leak and then also to install the filter!I do have the filter as it was in the drawer.

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you so much!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Does it also help to say that there is some water trickling out of hot water heater plug? The white one.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, that's more evidence of the high pressure.

And that is fixable too. Take it out, clean it, and if in very good condition replace it using a wrap of teflon plumbing tape. It is installed with plumber's putty, won't hold. Or get a new plastic plug and installed with teflon tape.

When you get these two things tightened, expect it to release pressure from the water pressure relief valve when the pressure is too high. That's why I put in the pressure accumulator.

doug k
Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not taking any chances, I shut off the electric portion at bedtime and in the morning after we use what we need. There is plenty of reserve hot water there between showers, or the propane with take care of it.

doug k
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
I found I often had water pressure issues at campgrounds - the connections to my wet-bath sink would steadily drip. I significantly reduced the problem by turning the campground spigot on only "just" enough. Even with a water pressure regulator, there is no reason that you need enough force to blast paint off a building.

Easy does it!

"The Towster" 1969 Globetrotter 21' (Silver)
"The Yeti" 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1 Allison Crew Cab (White)
"The Boat" Old Town Canoe Discovery 174 (Green)
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_G View Post
Hi everyone. We have a new 2013 flying cloud and I walked in today to find water leaking out from under sink and also from the outlet that is right under the battery use/store switch. I looked under sink and there was water on the right side. I wiped it all up but can't find the source of the leak. There is also some water leaking from the wheel well dripping outside. I am freaked out now about water damage. I am going to call dealer tomorrow when they are open but any suggestions as to where this might be coming from? Everything seems dry. We are hooked up at campground. Pictures are where water was found as I put some washcloths there to catch anything that leaks now.
Thomas, I too had that same leak in the same space. Your trailer came with a cold water filter, I'm sure. It fits in where the short piece is hanging in the two curved brackets (to the right of your sink.

You will need (more than likely) plumbers tape.

Turn off your water (make sure you've removed the water connection outside), put some towels under that short piece and unscrew it. Place plumber's tape on both connections of your cold water filter. Then screw both ends tight. I found that I had to use pliers to go beyond hand tight to completely get rid of the leak.

Good luck!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I had a leak under my sink that I wasn't aware of until I got serious about finding the source of the musty smell in my trailer. Found it very moist back there when I pulled the drawers out. It was one of the waterlines. I could see the drip. Not quite hand tightened enough. Must have been that way for about 8 years. Took several days with a space heater to calm down the smell.

Jamie
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I discovered that my inline filter had cracked over the winter so when i turned on galley sink filtered water faucet this spring, I got a similar leak, for what it is worth
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_G View Post
Does it also help to say that there is some water trickling out of hot water heater plug? The white one.
Don't you worry about the 6hrs round trip, book a same day service appointment with Colonia and get everything fixed & tested before heading back home ( looks like a winterized issue). If you leave CT by 5am, you will be the first to be attended to at 8am. That skin expansion is highly noticeable so have Tony (service manager) call it in to Jackson Center for repairs. Colonia is great with warranty follow up.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
So that skin expansion occurs on both sides. It does seem a bit excessive to me also. I will let them know about that as well!

As far as the leak it was definitely the winterization tube not tight enough. I was able to hand tighten it almost 2 complete turns! I put Teflon tape on it also. Seems to be doing okay now but I let dealer know that I want it thoroughly inspected for water damage.

I am also posting a pic here of a white tube that comes from storage space next to water heater. It goes down through belly. What is this tube for?

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3551502236.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	185360