Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That looks like it goes down and exits out the bottom of the trailer. Take a look underneath for an open tube sticking out the bottom. If so it's to drain the water system.

Don't lose sleep over the skin expansion in the sun, that's what long sheets of aluminum do. Sometimes noticeable, sometimes not, but it must expand somewhere.

doug k

Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_G View Post
So that skin expansion occurs on both sides. It does seem a bit excessive to me also. I will let them know about that as well!

As far as the leak it was definitely the winterization tube not tight enough. I was able to hand tighten it almost 2 complete turns! I put Teflon tape on it also. Seems to be doing okay now but I let dealer know that I want it thoroughly inspected for water damage.

I am also posting a pic here of a white tube that comes from storage space next to water heater. It goes down through belly. What is this tube for?

Thanks everyone!
I asked that question of Kevin (QA@Colonial Airstream) that very question. It's another low point drain (in addition to the two under the trailer next to the fresh water drain).

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That looks like it goes down and exits out the bottom of the trailer. Take a look underneath for an open tube sticking out the bottom. If so it's to drain the water system.

Don't lose sleep over the skin expansion in the sun, that's what long sheets of aluminum do. Sometimes noticeable, sometimes not, but it must expand somewhere.

doug k
I was hoping the time was a cold water expansion relief new for 2013 for the hot water heater! Ha

Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
I have a 2012 25 foot FC and I've been wondering about the purpose of that mystery drain. But I'm still confused. The valve that operates the drain is labeled the hot water heater bypass valve in the owners manual. If that's true, then it shouldn't be draining the water system, it should just bypass the hot water heater. If that isn't true, then where is the actual bypass valve?
Thanks,
Don
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreitz View Post
I have a 2012 25 foot FC and I've been wondering about the purpose of that mystery drain. But I'm still confused. The valve that operates the drain is labeled the hot water heater bypass valve in the owners manual. If that's true, then it shouldn't be draining the water system, it should just bypass the hot water heater. If that isn't true, then where is the actual bypass valve?
Thanks,
Don
I have a 2013 FC front bed twin and the hot water heater bypass is under the mattress on the door side. There is a hole under the mattress and is a yellow knob.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreitz View Post
Thanks,
Don
I have a 2013 FC front bed twin and the bypass to the hot water heater is under the door side mattress. There is a hole and the valve is down k there.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
It is a drain for the HW heater. The bypass valve does not drain the heater, it just "by passes" so that the HWH doesn't fill up with 6+ gals of RV antifreeze.

Thomas- glad that you found the loose fittings.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Thomas G, thanks for the info. Mystery solved.
Don
Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
If you are taking your AS into the dealer spray down the inside shower door to see if it leaks water from under the shower to the hall way floor. Might as well have them repair that also.

Kelvin
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
If you are taking your AS into the dealer spray down the inside shower door to see if it leaks water from under the shower to the hall way floor. Might as well have them repair that also.

Kelvin
Will be checking that as well. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Bay Area , California
Hello All-

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just discovered the exact same issues on our new 2015 international 25 FB. First it was the water heater plug, then today discovered a very slow, intermittent leak from the back end of the door side wheel well. Hopefully pictures follow, the drip was coming right from where the aluminum meets the steel.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

When I opened the cabinet under the sink, I could see where water had been dripping from the filter line and running toward the wall (we're not perfectly level at our site ;-) ). There was no active leak, as Doug noted, it must only leak when the pressure is high enough.

Because this is Airforums, not only is there a thread with the diagnosis and fix, there's also a permanent solution - thanks Doug!

The reason for the post is to ask what water damage concerns I should have. I'm planning to dry out the tube and reinstall with Teflon tape, then implement Doug's solution when I'm back at home. I'll also take it into the dealer to document the leak - what should I ask them to inspect? I should probably add that this is the only problem we've had so far, we are loving our new Airstream! Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Bay Area , California
Quick update, as above I experienced the same issues (in the same order) as the OP, first replaced the water heater drain plug, now have taped and tightened the water filter line under the sink after experiencing a leak over the weekend. Seems to be water tight for now, next is the accumulator.

Would still appreciate any thoughts on what to ask dealer to inspect for potential water damage. Looks like my pics are is as links above rather than images, if you click you should be able see the location water was dripping from - the rear of the door side wheel well.