Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Water flow stopped suddenly

Water flow suddenly stopped for no apparent reason in my 2004 airstream bambi. I am using city water with no regulator on the hose. It is my understanding there is a regulator on the other side of the wall where the hose connects to the trailer. I disconnected the hose and used the water from the inside storage tank for a day, then reconnected the hose and it was fine. Then two days later, for no reason, it stopped suddenly again. Any ideas as to what is happening?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Unreliable city water? City water pressure can be variable. This is why we use pressure regulators. During peak usage times water pressure can drop quite considerably.

Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan View Post
Water flow suddenly stopped for no apparent reason in my 2004 airstream bambi. I am using city water with no regulator on the hose. It is my understanding there is a regulator on the other side of the wall where the hose connects to the trailer. I disconnected the hose and used the water from the inside storage tank for a day, then reconnected the hose and it was fine. Then two days later, for no reason, it stopped suddenly again. Any ideas as to what is happening?
You could have a defective regulator and/or check valve. If it's the check valve, it is sticking closed and not allowing the water to flow thru. The regulator could possibly do the same thing.

If you can access these components (they are usually in-line with each other), you can disconnect them and then flow the city water right thru the connection to see if you are getting any water. If you're worried about excess pressure in the line, you can use a regulator right at the hose bib connection.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

I removed the regulator that is built into the side of my airstream and replaced it with an identical one that was white plastic as opposed to the plastic covered with silver paint model that came with the trailer. That solved the immediate problem of NO water. But this regulator is almost TOO efficient. Are regulators available on the market that can be adjusted? I'd really like to have a bit more shower pressure when I bathe. This one cuts the pressure back such that it is like using the onboard water pump. The water pressure is pretty limp, in equal measure, at the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, shower and toilet.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
On the issue of pressure regulators everyone should realize that some parks have very high water pressure. Therefore it may be a good idea to use a pressure regulator right at the park faucet to protect your hose from unusually high pressure.
Obviously a pressure regulator will influence the water flow somewhat.
Al
Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan View Post
Are regulators available on the market that can be adjusted?
Watts may make one.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
There are several adjustable water pressure regulators available, but the all connect via the hose, and should usually be placed right at the hose bib to protect your hose from excessive pressure, as well as your trailer.

Valterra recently came out with a really nice adjustable model...#AO1-1116VP. Marshall and Camco also have them available.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Adjustable Water Pressure Regulator

I don't know when Airstream discontinued the use of the brass adjustable water pressure regulators, but my '64 Overlander still has its original adjustable water pressure regulator mounted as the first device on the incoming water line. The one in my overlander looks similar to the one below:

Grainger handles these valves, and the link to these valves can be found at: water pressure regulators.

I may end up ordering one of these for my Minuet. On my last trip out, my city water quit working, and I suspect that the original valve may have become clogged with minerals over the past thirty years.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote