Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Water filler door

I have a 77 excella 500 that the "funnel" of the water filler door is destroyed. I am being told that they are no longer available. Is there anyone that has a new one laying around or a used one for sale? Thanks.

-thomas
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Several people have been able to successfully rebuild the water inlets. If yours is like mine, it is a grey plastic that becomes brittle over time. If you can salvage enough of the pieces, you can fibergalss that baby back together.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Ironically I am going through the same issue. I plan on trying the fiberglass route.
The backup plan is to get a modern one and paint it silver metallic if my fiberglassing skills stink. (Inland RV parts dept recommended this fix).
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
I just replaced mine

When I bought mine, the PO had just thrown a whole bunch of silicone over the cracks of my Thetford inlet. When I was doing some plumbing work around the water tank/pump area, I noticed that the inlet pipe was all cracked. I was looking all over for a Thetford replacement.

Ultimately, I ended up purchasing a PVC water fill (w/ locking cover) from Mark's RV and replaced my gray, rotten plastic one. Now, since I've got an Argosy, it was easy to simply spray paint mine ivory after making the install.

George M. Sutton (Oregon RV Dealer | George M Sutton RV | Oregon RV Sales | Oregon RV Service | Oregon RV Parts) found an Airstream-made potable water inlet that is Aluminum (or at least it was gray and shiny and looked metallic). It was only $18. If you give them a call, I'm sure they'll be able to get you one. They gave me a part number starting with 6, but I'm not at home right now. Sorry.

Good luck!

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
There was some talk that David Tidmore of Roger Williams Airstream was looking in to making the water filler door assembly of stainless steel. He makes or has made stove vents, water heater and furnace doors of stainless steel. High quality and I have all three on my 07 25' Classic. I would really like to see the water fillers in stainless. The grey plastic is pretty cheap looking.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
Picture of Airstream part

This is a picture of the part made by AS. I supposed it could plastic, but then it might be aluminum. I wish I'd written down the AS part number.
Attached Images

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote