Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
kiowa , Colorado
Water coming out of city water outside hookup after I turn on my pump

I filled my fresh water tank using the potable water fill up and water is coming out of city water outside hookup after I turn on my pump. I have an 1989 excella and don't have anything at the city water hookup that is a regulator unless it is built in. It comes in and has the normal drop valve for draining and then goes to pump T and into the rest of the system. There is a filter on the pump and after the pump another inline filter and a very large filter under the sink.

I took out the pump and looked at the check valve in the front of the pump and it felt stuck. Nothing in it and don't know what the white valve is supposed to do. Is this supposed to come out or pop out when the pump is off and close off the water coming through the pump?

Also should I put in a back flow prevent er after the city water hookup? If I need one should I get another pressure regulator in line on the city water hookup?
Joeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The city water fill should also have a check valve. Removal of 4 screws on the backside will allow access to the guts. From there you can check for mineral build up and other crud. I once had a diaphragm tear, maybe from an accidental freeze.
A replacement unit can be had for about $39 online. Takes 5 minutes to replace.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb View Post
I filled my fresh water tank using the potable water fill up and water is coming out of city water outside hookup after I turn on my pump. I have an 1989 excella and don't have anything at the city water hookup that is a regulator unless it is built in. It comes in and has the normal drop valve for draining and then goes to pump T and into the rest of the system. There is a filter on the pump and after the pump another inline filter and a very large filter under the sink.

I took out the pump and looked at the check valve in the front of the pump and it felt stuck. Nothing in it and don't know what the white valve is supposed to do. Is this supposed to come out or pop out when the pump is off and close off the water coming through the pump?

Also should I put in a back flow prevent er after the city water hookup? If I need one should I get another pressure regulator in line on the city water hookup?
Look in your Owners Manual in the plumbing section F. There is a diagram of the fresh water plumbing. You should see a check valve near the city water inlet. If water is coming out the city water inlet, that check valve has failed or possibly has trash in the valve itself keeping it open. By hooking up the city water and flushing it out you might fix the problem.

add edit:
If you do not have a manual, this is a web link where you can download a copy:
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...LY-Trailer.pdf
Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
kiowa , Colorado
Don't have anything

Hi and thanks for the info. I don't have anything at my city water hookup. No regulator or check valve. It comes in and goes directly to my pump with a T going to the drain and that's it.

Please send a link on what I should have if anyone has it on the regulator and check valve.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If it is plumbed as you say, it is not original.
Post a photo of what you have.

add edit:
could be something as small as this if inline
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-725.htm

Or
could be part of the inlet itself (this one is chrome, but there is a white plastic older version
http://airstreamsupply.com/index.php...ch=check+valve

Or
There is another type inlet, similar to above, with the check valve and pressure regulator all in one device.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
kiowa , Colorado
Hard to photograph

Its hard to get a good photo of it but it is a white outside with a inside brass piece and I am sure that it has the regulator but no check valve. I will add another regulator on it that I can adjust and also get the check valve next and that should do it. Then unto leaks from it not being correct I am sure that will happen.