Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Water comes out when...

We are about to pull out here and I was hooking up the water hose to the Airstream. I turned on the water so we could take our baths...But here at the rear underneath is this little pipe-that when I turn on the water it automaticly starts running as you can see in the photo. So we opened up the compartment right above and took another picture of these two valves. I don't recall ever turning either one of these in the past, and was wondering if you guys know where that water below is coming from. It makes the sound of running water as it's coming out --please help this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4131.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	98815   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4132.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	98816  

Name:	DSCF4133.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	98817  
Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Thats a water drain line for winterizing the Airstream. Turn the red handles (one at a time) clockwise and see if that stops the water from coming out.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looks like you have the drain valve open. Try shutting the valves one at a time to see if it makes a difference. You could have a bad seal in the drain valve as well. Is there a pipe going thru the floor near one of the valves inside? If so, follow the pipe back to see where it goes.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We started to turn the red handles a few minutes ago and hesitated before we did it and got on here instead...in a few minutes we will go back there and turn the red handles clockwise (shut) to see if one of them was loose. This is a new one for us- as it has never happened before. So I will report back in a minute and let you know Thanks....
Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Ok first of all there are TWO of those pipes (one on either side of the big outlet) it's just not in the picture. So we opened the valve first and water increased out of the one that is not in the picture. Turned it off. Then opened the other and water came out the same pipe again. THEN we tightened the valves clockwise pretty darn tight and it still persist. I stuck my head in there and looked down and it is really hard to tell where that pipe is going.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Ok first of all there are TWO of those pipes (one on either side of the big outlet) it's just not in the picture. So we opened the valve first and water increased out of the one that is not in the picture. Turned it off. Then opened the other and water came out the same pipe again. THEN we tightened the valves clockwise pretty darn tight and it still persist. I stuck my head in there and looked down and it is really hard to tell where that pipe is going.
Odd! One tube should be the cold water drain and one tube should be the hot water side. Should not use the same for both. Any more red handles?

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
no there are just those two along with that up and down shut off thing.The one you see is the one that is constant. and the other seems to be doing all the work from the two red valve handles...after we take our baths and it dries out back there I will return with more photos and closer inspections. I will persist and prevail and will get to the blttom- and or end - of this!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
no there are just those two along with that up and down shut off thing.The one you see is the one that is constant. and the other seems to be doing all the work from the two red valve handles...after we take our baths and it dries out back there I will return with more photos and closer inspections. I will persist and prevail and will get to the blttom- and or end - of this!
There is a high pressure "pop off" valve, that over time, goes bad.

That allows water to flow out one of those clear plastic tubes.

The valve is not large, and it has a number on the top of it that says "111". I will post a photo of it later today.

Replacing that valve stops the problem.

The only other cause would be for one of the drain valves not completely shutting off, but not likely.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
You know Andy - I've purchased my Airstream from Colonial out in New Jersey - but once I tow her X-Country back to my San Diego domicile - you know darn well were "MY RIG" will be coming for service!

You are always there to help everyone!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Andy saves the day! I will be looking for your pictures or diagrams when they happen...thanks Andy
Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
pop off valve

Photo of the Airstream high pressure "pop off" valve.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	111.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	98823  
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If you have a pressure regulating valve,why would they install a pressure relief valve ? I think I would throw away the relief valve and install a good pressure gauge there.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
If you have a pressure regulating valve,why would they install a pressure relief valve ? I think I would throw away the relief valve and install a good pressure gauge there.Dave
Water pressure regulators have been known to fail.

The "pop off" then becomes a "safety" device.

Andy
Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
OK I saw the picture- should I go and look to see anotherone like it connected to my plumbing in there? Or where is it installed? And what else can you tell me to do to look and find it. Bill and if you have that piece about how much does it cost? Or do I just push it back into place?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
OK I saw the picture- should I go and look to see anotherone like it connected to my plumbing in there? Or where is it installed? And what else can you tell me to do to look and find it. Bill and if you have that piece about how much does it cost? Or do I just push it back into place?
You will find your pop off valve immediately after the water pressure regulator.

The pop off's cannot be repaired, so a replacement is in order.

Andy
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Ok is it going to be back there where the rear is, or coming off of some.....well I will go look Andy and see if I can find it. will take pictures.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I have added an arrow to your photo. Check that part. I has the tubing connected and appears to be in about the right place. Can you have someone outside pull on the tubing while you check on the inside to confirm that this is the tube that from which the water is flowing?

There may be a slight difference in appearance between the older one and the one in Andy's photo, but they look pretty much the same. Even before Andy replied, I thought that the piece I have the arrow points to was a pressure relief valve that was probably leaking. When Andy posted his reply and the photo it confirmed my thought. (To me anyway. When in doubt, go with Andy's answer.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4133-vw.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	98835  
Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
OK heres what I got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Photo of the Airstream high pressure "pop off" valve.

Andy
..........These are two shots of what I think you both are pointing at...plus there is a clear plastic line coming off of it down below....anyway what do you think? Bill also I did jiggle the pipe and that was the pipe where the water is running from. For a while there I had figured it must be a broken pipe from our recent freeze we'd had (whew!) anyway I will be calling inland to get a new one if they got them. Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4134.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	98836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4135.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	98837  

Old 03-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
..........These are two shots of what I think you both are pointing at...plus there is a clear plastic line coming off of it down below....anyway what do you think? Bill
That's it, you got it, don't let it run away.

Seriously, that's the pop off valve.

They are available from Airstream dealers.

Change it out, relax, have a coooooool one, or maybe two.

Andy
Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
OK I will call tomorrow (Sat) and get a price and will tell them it's for a 70 model, hope its universal, and I figure it is. I was Marveling at Angel how we are blessed with you all being there for us. Thanks again